I have a space problem, lathe related, New ACRA 1440 TVS

With what I'm doing I'm going to have problems down the road, especially in the tailstock area, and I don't think stalling the motor is good for longevity before smoke appears. The aluminum gets sticky, and it will unexpectedly grab the bit. I do not have through coolant bits, I can be drilling fine, and it will just bite, I am keeping good edges now too, I have to peck to keep the swarf from getting into long unmanageable lengths.

@Aukai,
I may be a bit odd in this, but I like sharing my workspace with my wife. She and I met working together, and even though often working on separate projects we like sharing space. Besides, she's willing to run grab me a cold one any time :)
You're looking at needing more HP. The TVS is heavier but is there any other real advantage? If you are happy with the rigidity of your existing machine and think the CVS is comparable, then I'd prioritize not impinging on the wife's space. But that's me ...

@Aukai ,
Listen to @rabler . He is absolutely right!
This should include the @wachuko solution of exporting his wife's stuff out into a shed, which is something I am amazed he got away with.
When it comes to setting what you have with people against what you want to do for a machine, then go for people every time!

I have a 45' x 16' usable cement slab in the front yard that used to be boat parking, but I have 3 cars, and a 7' trailer to fit. Maybe a 12 x 16 footprint available?

BUT - even though small, the lathe, mill, drill press, bench, easy chair and small refrigerator can all fit, and it has now become a winter insulated man cave with a great view!
WOW! I am totally jealous! That turned out amazing! Definitely the opposite of an 'eyesore shed'.

As to the above... at least the madatory items fit!!!

@Auki: If a shed is in consideration you could also just buy it.

It may be regional, but here in Penn's-woods there is a shed builder every mile or two and they will customise it any way you want up to wiring/insulating/finishing the interior as a tiny home.

They drive it up on a trailer and drop it on a prepared gravel spot.....

Just a consideration. If they hurt themselves during installation you can be of assistance... otherwise leave the wood to them! LOL

Here's a thought: If the problem is essentially your lathe is underpowered, why not get a heavier horsepower motor? I can't imagine the footprint for the motor would be any different for a 5HP to replace your 2HP. And it's my understanding that your 1340 is a pretty heavy duty machine, so it should be able to handle a more robust motor. That would most certainly be the cheapest and most compatible solution. mksj would probably know if that's feasible.

Regards

Part of the relocation would interfere with what little territory my wife still has in the garage. I would not have a problem squeezing it in, but it would look like a hoarders maze getting from the laundry room(garage) door to the closet doors on the far wall for her gardening supplies. I'm not sure if I'm being thoughtful, or scared. :)
You need to buy her a garden shed!
BOOM problem solved, buy the 89 inch lathe

Back