[How do I?] I just received a PM25, need to make outriggers for the base, what size rectangular tubing should I use?

WobblyHand

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I'm looking at the stand I just got with the mill, and don't see an easy way to level it. My basement floor is far from level. One idea would be to make two outriggers from rectangular steel tubing. Then I could drill through it and make some hockey puck adjustable levelers. I'd just bolt the outriggers to the base. What size tubing should be used? Or is there a better way?

Have some 1.5" square tubing but it seems to only be 1/16" thick. Seems thin. Have about 16 feet of it. Then again the mill is "only" 250lbs + the stand. The outriggers would only extend 3" just beyond the base (side to side, not fore and aft), so the adjusters would be accessible. Total span of the outrigger would be 19.5". The PM25 base is pretty narrow at only 13.5". Making the base wider would be good. Would this tubing be ok? The span isn't that wide.

Any ideas? Better tubing? Double up the tubing? (Tack weld tubes together?) Make my own stand?

Congrats - you have a mill!

I think the tubing you have will suffice. There are calculators on line that give you deflection figures. Since your outriggers will only extend 3" out, you should be fine with 0.0650" wall tubing.

You might also want to look at leveling casters. They allow you to move the mill at need, then re-site and level it quickly.

Last edited:
Congrats - you have a mill!

I think the tubing you have will suffice. There are calculators on line that give you deflection figures. Since your outriggers will only extend 3" out, you should be fine with 0.0650" wall tubing.

You might also want to look at leveling casters. They allow you to move the mill at need, then re-site and level it quickly.
Thanks!

I slightly reduced the outriggers so the stick out is less. They are 1.5" longer than the base on both sides, or just enough to get in a nut and bolt. (And to be able to adjust them!) The deflection works out to less than 0.01", or about 1/2000 of the span. Should be ok.

Have a set of leveling casters for my lathe/toolbox. The rubber feet are too soft and it feels like it's on jello. Don't want that on the mill, I'd get seasick! Bought GD80F's, but maybe they were knockoffs? Also, they are kind of tall. Don't have a lot of height to give up in the basement. Maybe I could get away with some smaller ones.

Last edited:
Some progress...
Cut, drilled and painted the square tubing. Blue is a pretty good match.
IMG_20200610_091754.jpg
The feet. 0.25" thick fender washer, sits in a machined hockey puck. Pressed the bolt head into the puck using a vise.
IMG_20200610_185123.jpgIMG_20200610_185239.jpg

Leveled! Not machinist leveled, but leveled. Call it a win. Rock solid.
IMG_20200610_191017.jpg
Concerned that it's too high. My ceiling is very low. The stand was placed so that the head could go between the joists. Might eliminate the square tubing and go with 5/16" flat bar stock. That and some low profile jam nuts to reduce the foot height. Should be able to take off an 1.25" in height. Hmm, need to sleep over it.

There's 3/4" of a difference in height between the high and low point on the floor! Joys of an old house.

Back