I kept trying to sharpen carbide, thinking it was HSS.

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
I needed a piece for my boring bar, to cut threads for a left hand 3/8-16 interior.. I have plenty of square for my larger bar. well, I picked out the small piece, had a tough time on my belt sander, my 2 grinders, a cut off wheel... wth..
So I grabbed the larger piece.. same thing.. Must have destroyed the belt.. and the wheels... wait no..
must be some super hard hss. I put it down, was going to make a holder rather than use the bar..
went down tonight, took a magnet, .. it's lightly magnetic.. damn.. it's carbide... where'd I get that round.... it had marks for a cutoff wheel...
So don't make the same mistake... check your steel, it might not be HSS if you can't cut it.
20211012_195902.jpg

that's funny, I've had that happen before too. I was trying to sharpen a spade drill insert, which I'm pretty sure is cobalt based on weight, but it took ALOT of work to get through the coating. Really weird, it made a very bright white light before I managed to get through it after a couple of attempts. Impressive coating, that's for sure.

You can tell the difference as carbide is significantly more dense(heavier).
I know, but the pieces were so small it didn't feel heavier. Also, I can't figure out where that came from.
I probably made the cut with a diamond cut off wheel, I just don't remember...
There's a lot of Sh*t I don't remember..
There's a lot of Sh*t I'd like to forget...
There's probably not much room left in the memory banks.. maybe I need to format my head.

My smallest boring bar is too big for an internal 3/8 I guess I should have checked b4 trying to shape a piece of steel. And I didn't need to, as the smallest bar already had a threading form. DOH.

Years ago when I was learning (I know I'm still learning), I had a 1/2 piece of tooling, that was mostly cut away and shaped into an inside boring bar... But I broke it.:oops:.... now wishingI had that. I think I'll just order a 3/8-16 LH tap..

I have a carbide rod, 16mm diameter (slightly over 5/8") about 300mm (1ft) long.
I had thought it being so thick and stiff, it might have some use as a boring bar ..
.. but how?
One has to carve a chunk out of it as deep as it needs to go, leaving a bit on the end to be a tool shape.
I settle for a steel bar, with a piece of carbide ex-insert mounted on it's end, sticking out a bit to the side.
To do anything with carbide, I guess you need diamonds!

I have a carbide rod, 16mm diameter (slightly over 5/8") about 300mm (1ft) long.
I had thought it being so thick and stiff, it might have some use as a boring bar ..
.. but how?
One has to carve a chunk out of it as deep as it needs to go, leaving a bit on the end to be a tool shape.
I settle for a steel bar, with a piece of carbide ex-insert mounted on it's end, sticking out a bit to the side.
that or silicon carbide wheels...
I would go with the diamond, less expensive in the long run. The silicon carbide wears, and is bad for you... along with the carbide dust..
both are toxic over time.

.. but how?
A steel cap silver soldered to the end? The main problem with steel boring bars is their flex. They behave like a cantilever beam. Looking up optimal beam design in an undergrad text shows that the end with the force on it has less stress, so can be weaker.

My smallest boring bar is too big for an internal 3/8 I guess I should have checked b4 trying to shape a piece of steel. And I didn't need to, as the smallest bar already had a threading form. DOH.

Years ago when I was learning (I know I'm still learning), I had a 1/2 piece of tooling, that was mostly cut away and shaped into an inside boring bar... But I broke it.:oops:.... now wishingI had that. I think I'll just order a 3/8-16 LH tap..
I went back down and searched. I thought I had another boring bar, I found it in my tap/threading draw. it will barely fit the 3/8 -16.. with the 60 point.. I may give it a try on some scrap.. LH is just a little .. backward, so I need to practice it first. I've done external small LH, but I think this will be the smallest LH internal.

Back