I love old tools,What are some of your favorites?

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
Most people outside these machinist forums seem to merely to only use tools...
I have an obsession with them, my wife thinks i love my tools and my shop and my work, more than her...
she'd be super ****** off if she knew the truth.
i try to avoid that line of questioning at all cost and send myself an urgent, fake text message or i have used the fake phone call a couple times.(if you are gonna attempt this one just don't overdo it, the wilier the spouse, the less effective it becomes)
i then proceed to say baby, i'd like to talk more about this. but, the bat phone just rang and commissioner gordon needs me to save gotham city again and go out and play with my tools in the shop... Am I a Bad Guy for that???
i digress...
the point of this is to show me your wife's/girlfriends competition out in the shop.
i'll ante in with....
my first Simpson 260 series 6

simpson 260.JPG

I've got a Simpson just like that, Mike.......somewhere....... around here......... oh well, I got it when I was in trade school back in 72. Don't even get it out anymore, now i carry a Fieldpiece for all my work.
I do have a tool I carry in my van that I don't use much and would be a good candidate for "what am I used for". Then again, it is a specialty tool that many wouldn't even know anything about what it fits much less what it does.
That Simpson was a good meter.

Patrick

The short answer.....all of them are my favorites!

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

DSC00280.JPGThis wrench was made by my father" BOGIE" while working at the ship yards during WWll. He died in 1948 when I was 2 1/2. This wrench an a ballpeen hammer are the only things I have that I am sure he held in his hands. It has a special place in my toolbox.

DSC00280.JPG

View attachment 49076This wrench was made by my father" BOGIE" while working at the ship yards during WWll. He died in 1948 when I was 2 1/2. This wrench an a ballpeen hammer are the only things I have that I am sure he held in his hands. It has a special place in my toolbox.

Using old tools with memories is great. Just today I used a carpenter’s square that I recall being in my dad’s tools chest that he built and sat on the back porch when I was a kid. The blade is steel with a wooden “L” handle lined with brass on the blade side. You can’t help but think about the olden days when you were a child when you use them.

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

Back