I need a flat-belt drive mill

Dave,
I would ask you to leave the electric motor on the machine. That way I could use it before I get a lineshaft installed, which might take awhile...
What is your price?
Greg

Some of the #2 machines had feed for Y axis and Z axis in addition to X. Does your machine?
Have you tested the feed to see if it works?
Ever taken any cuts with the machine?

no I haven't used the machine at all---as far as I know there isn't any problems with the machine as the previous owner got it for cutting helix ---I am only a hobby machinist and have only used the manual feed mills even though both the Hendey/Norton and my J head bridgeport have power feeds---sorry I can't give you more information, we moved before I was able to use them and my shop here doesn't have 220 wiring yet---I haven't made any cuts with it except maybe one with the upper arbor and a slitting cutter---that would have been about 30 years ago---I will figure two prices for you--one with the transmission and motor and one for just the mill for flat belt drive. I value the transmission cause it can be used in many of my projects---I won't take them off though if you decide you want it complete ready to run--do you have an urgency to get a mill or will you want to wait for spring to decide? It is powered up now but my shop has no heat and it is the cold winter time----I will take more pics this week and let you know my prices--do you have a good trailer or a heavy duty truck to haul it with?----Dave

I just rent trailers from uhaul and tow them with my Son's F150 or my Wife's Jeep, depending on the load.
Do you have a hoist or fork-truck for loading? If not I could bring a couple of 2-ton engine hoists and several 2" steel bars to roll it on.
Actually I am excited about the project and want to keep moving, so I am glad to bring my coat and work in the unheated shop. There is also a Cincinnati #2 I have my eye on so if your machine does not work out I need to grab the Cincinnati. But the most compelling reason is that at my age it it is ill advised to buy green bananas, I might not live to see them ripen! This is on my bucket-list.
Send me some good pictures of how the transmission is installed. Many of the early retrofits of electric motors to mills were based on transmissions from the Ford model A. I thought this was cool as I love old cars and have three or four old Ford hot-rods I have built out of wrecks and scrap, and have an extra transmission out of a 1948 F7 in the junk pile. Perhaps the next incarnation of the Hendey will use a 4-speed top-loader!

Back