I need information on Woden 186B/3 bench vise main screw dimensions

TorontoBuilder

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have been given a woden bench vise with a broken main screw. Unfortunately the past owner tossed out the broken screw parts so I have no source of reference for designing a new screw other than the lead nut.

I hope someone here has the same vise and can provide me measurements and verify the thread form and pitch for me.

my fall back plan is to turn down a piece of delrin, heat it and the lead nut in the oven and then force the delrin into the nut in order to get a thermoformed approximation of the main screw form to use as a reference, OR I can mill out the existing thread in the lead nut and fix an insert that has been tapped to 5/8 - 8 TPI acme thread and make a matching lead screw.

I can't help you with measurements.
You may be able to use a piece of paraffin wax like your mom made preserves with. May be able to just screw a piece into the nut.
I can help you with the lead screw. I have a brand-new length of 5/8" acme lead screw. I would need to verify the pitch and dimension, but you are welcome to cut a piece off for your vise. A leadscrew nut may be easier to make.
Martin

How about play-do or other simi-soft cheep and available material typically available from a craft store to take a quick impression of the nut. Only needs to last long enough to measure.

I can't help you with measurements.
You may be able to use a piece of paraffin wax like your mom made preserves with. May be able to just screw a piece into the nut.
I can help you with the lead screw. I have a brand-new length of 5/8" acme lead screw. I would need to verify the pitch and dimension, but you are welcome to cut a piece off for your vise. A leadscrew nut may be easier to make.
Martin
Thanks Martin, I appreciate the offer.

I'll have to see how much wear there is on the nut, given that someone snapped the screw I suspect the vise was subjected to some amount of abuse so I may just make a new nut

Back