I need new saddle retainers for my mini lathe.

D.sebens

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I have been noticing that my saddle isn’t as snug as it should be. I decided I was going to make shims for the retainers as I don’t really like the way you adjust it. When I removed the back one I found it cracked and warped. A new one is only $11 https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1388

But it’s the same cast iron. I have steel and aluminum on hand. I was thinking steel would be too grabby and not sure about aluminum. Was thinking of getting some brass to make it.

Is there a recommended type of brass? I’m not sure types will matter that much in this situation but if there’s a better one to choose it makes sense to buy that one.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 72066093202__6FEE8A71-5AF7-4FEB-8665-0ECE78139DD1.jpeg
    72066093202__6FEE8A71-5AF7-4FEB-8665-0ECE78139DD1.jpeg
    243.3 KB · Views: 46
I made mine from aluminum about 5+ years ago and have never regretted it. I use it often and have not had the need to adjust it even once since then. I guess maybe I should give it a look now.

If your bed is cast iron then steel should slide on it fairly well. Steel spindles and cast iron backplates go well together

I made replacement pieces for my 7x12 out of MDS-filled nylon bar stock. Instead of the funky jackscrew adjustment scheme used for the OEM version, I simply shimmed the pieces for the best fit. I bought the material from McMaster-Carr: https://www.mcmaster.com/products/p...ne-wear-resistant-cast-nylon-sheets-and-bars/

If you don't have a mill to make your own, you probably should just go with the replacements from LMS.

I’m making some out of mild steel. I’m going to measure and then mill down a step in it to try and get them to just fit right when bolted down. If that doesn’t work I’ll just be out a little time. I have a couple different sizes of shim stock on hand also so I should be able to make it work.

Steve Jordan has a video on this. I did the modification to my LMS 7X 14 lathe and it is far better than stock. I wouldn't even thing of replacing with the stock piece the lathe comes with.

Back