I summoned the Boogie man

Eyerelief

Registered
Registered
Have a fun little project I am working on that will require several 2" diameter holes. Yes, I could bore them but that would be boring. Been wanting to see what shell reamers were all about so I jumped onto the bay. Found a Bison straight shank reamer arbor that I negotiated to $30 delivered. Used and the previous owner had beat down the shank end with a pipe wrench to fit in a large chuck or the like.

Now, I have been warned all my life that using a toolpost grinder on the lathe would bring demons by droves. So I set a few silver bullets and a clove of garlic by the lathe, covered everything (including the dog) with rags and set out on this misadventure which was destined to end in horror.

Recon the shop dog ready to start making evil dust. He aint scared of nuthin:
IMG_9779.jpg
The subject, pre:
s-l500.jpg

Didn't bother to try and take down the tooling marks that were above the turned area. I stopped at .950 for a diameter so it fits in my Jacobs 20N chuck. If I ever use it in the mill, I might need to take it down a little further.
I don't grind very often, but I really do like the finish this process produces.

Now Recon the shop dog and I await the wrath.

Soulful dog! Get on the soul train- or the gravy train

I feel like I need to see the entire tool assembly….
Tease!!!!!
Here you go. I don't have any experience with these yet. I think that if I bought new, I would purchase with Morse taper instead of straight shank but to figure them out the risk was small. I contemplated milling 3 flats for added strength when mounting in a chuck but the Jacobs bearing chucks hold tight enough that I thought it best to leave it be. Seems like it might take quite a bit to hang on to it. For my first runs, I will bore within a few thousandths and let the reamer finish. In my mind that should be a little less stress anyway. What I like is the ejection nut to push the cutter back off the end.

IMG_9782.jpg
IMG_9781.jpg
With a 2" cutter installed and a 1-13/16" below the tube. These are used as well. 2-1/4",2", 1-15/16", 1-13/16" for $33 delivered.
IMG_9780.jpg
Dont know how involved the setup is on these, but I do know that a decent chucking reamer @ 2" is pretty pricey. Hoping this is a usable alternative to an otherwise steep investment.

Back