I was just wondering

GK1918

Active User
Registered
As watching Tubals latest release on a SB9 thread stop, when it gets to trigg. then
my brakes go on. So I left Tubal a comment on one I made on a shaper that for me
was way faster and with very little math. I trued up 1/2 stock scribed the layout
hogged out the bulk with a 4"grinder set the machine to the proper degree cut the
Vss cleaned up the bottom, then drilled one end then slit that end vertically, ran a
1/4 20 tap in the center piece. Ground a 1/4 20 to a point screwed that into cross
slide then wacked the stop then drilled stop little bigger than 1/4". done a little under
an hour. No math no dowel pin lock no critical width its really no more that a carriage
stop. Then I cut and epoxied some brass shim stock to its Vs. No doubt these things
were probably already made 50+ yrs ago I never saw one. No expensive mill dovetail
cutter. Actually this can be made from plastic or something cause one doesnt animal
the cross slide into it. Its just a -0- reference point. Came out good. Just another
rainy day thing.

any link to the video referenced? or pictures showing your stop? I'm curious as from your description it sounds like a simple stop for the crossslide to get the cutter back to depth for cutting threads - is that what it is?

Vidio info

for PurpLev Myself no computor expert I think the easest is go on Google search for MrPete222 and
that should get you there. All of his vidios are of the highest quality all excellent format in HD.
This is on UTube and they changed the format a little bit, then I discovered to click on the box that says
"Filter" then find and click on uploaded this week, if nothing comes up, then there is nothing this week,
go back to filter click on uploaded this month, then it will be the most recent in order, which will be this
thread stop. Ill stick my neck out to say if one cant learn from him, one cant be learned.

If anyone is into threading, this simple gadget is the best thing you can have. If interested the first thing
you need to know is the degree of your dovetail. I do know my two SBs and my Greaves is 60 degrees,
so thats easy, I just used my 60* thread fish gage to do the layout. I just use a red marker & scribe it.
I suppose this can even be done on a vertical bandsaw. I suppose it can even be hard wood. It is only
a stop it is not intended to stop a dump truck. Finally no matter how many hours or years threading,
sooner or later going past the "0" mark will happen then its backlash and all that good stuff. I forgot = NOT all lathes happen to have a threaded hole in the crossfeed like SBs have so you gotta drill &
tap one (1/4 20) still got to get a camara batt for less typing cant beet photos sam

Back