I wonder who made all the Taiwanese PM machines?

My only thing is, companies like Grizzly and others keep it hush hush as though they're making UFO parts or parts for a nuclear missile. I tried to find out what companies in Taiwan makes machines for grizzly and hit a brick wall. Grizzly won't even ship any products to Taiwan no matter what. Even contacting these companies for purchase hits a brick wall too.

I think they do this mostly for marketing reasons.

A lot of Ryobi, Craftsman, Delta, Dewalt, Milwaukee and Hart (Walmart brand) power tools come out of the same factory in Taiwan. The tools themselves are are built to different specs and may even be entirely unique designs to the brand, but it still makes it hard to market your $200 tool as better than a $39 budget brand tool when they are made by the same employees.

Grizzly, PM, Enco, Jet etc probably get some of their machines from the same place, they also probably change suppliers from time to time. Both of those make it harder to make their versions distinct from the competition if that is common knowledge.

That’s interesting, I would have thought Taiwan would be similar to Japan with some of the high end woodworking projects I have seen come from there, but I shouldn’t be surprised. I looked for woodworking tools and accessories when visiting my inlaws in Shanghai and couldn’t find anything better than DIY tools. I was told Chinese don’t do those kinds of hobbies, so it will be difficult to find that kind of stuff. I guess it’s the same in Taiwan. Did you need to import your woodworking tools?
I've had to at times at great expenses... yea, very few in Taiwan do this as a hobby. If they did it it was a job.

My PM-833TV came with an OEM manual that has a check written beside the GEM-450BV model
(The OEM manual also lists other products: GEM-400G or GD or GS or GCT; GEM-450G or BV; GEM-500GII or GIII).

The GEM-400 appears to be made by a Taiwanese company call ARICAS.

Unfortunately ARICAS appears to have lost it’s domain name, so the Google links come up as “server not responding” or “this URL is available for purchase”.
Using the Way Back Machine (Internet Archive) I was able to view a webpage for the GEM-450G, which has the right description (No images)

This is an image of the ARICAS GEM-450G from before they lost their domain name:
5D5F134C-5454-4C9C-960B-D1AB2A8E00BA.jpeg

Which appears to match the exploded view from both the OEM manual provided with the mill and PM’s manual.

So… my conclusion is that the PM-833TV is the ARICAS GEM-450BV

ARICAS MACHINERY CO., LTD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
No. 17, Ln. 301, Fengzhou Rd., Shengang Dist., Taichung City 429, Taiwan (R.O.C.)
Tel:+886-4-25154766 Fax:+886-4-25154793

(It’s a pretty tenuous internet trail)

Back