ID this miniature surface grinder?

Alan Douglas

Silent Key
Rest In Peace
I should have put a scale in the photo, but it's 10" high and the table surface is 2 1/4 x 4 1/4". No markings on it anywhere. I added the green enamel, and the Norton wheel (a worn down one from the surface grinder at work). There are two eccentric knurled rollers that might have held a strap to anchor whatever was being ground. But what?

Grinder2.jpg Grinder3.jpg Grinder4.jpg Grinder1.jpg

Last edited:
I've had it at least 20 years, so have long forgotten where I found it, but it was probably in somebody's cellar or garage.

I've never seen one like it, but makes me think of an instrument makers tool. Might find it in a clockmakers shop, for instance. Put me in your will, Alan. ;)

Talk about tool lust. :drool: If anything like that ever crosses my path, I'm jumping on it. I might have to make one.

It can't have been for very heavy cuts, since the X axis is moved by hand, without any way to keep it from running away.

Hmmm, shaving leather, maybe. I don't recall now if the washers all came with it, but I think they did. The nut now is 1/4" shy of engaging all the threads on the spindle, so something is that much too thick, or shouldn't be there.

Maybe for thicknessing a piece of leather to be later punched into washers or gaskets?

That would be a skiving machine of some sort then, if that's the case. Maybe a shoe-shop piece?

Pretty doggoned elaborate, just to thickness a belt. But I have to admit, that would suit those hold-down clamps perfectly.

Back