Idea (bulb on)

GK1918

Active User
Registered
what a project to get back after a crash!! Anyway I know this may exist never saw one, but my idea is a dead
center bolted to a heavy plate and a 3Jaw chuck towards the operator. So far out of heavy wall pipe, I treaded
this pipe for (treads for a 9A SB Lathe chuck). I figure the chuck should swivel vertically as well as to rotate.
Kind of a cheap dividing head. Maybe a couple of set screws to lock the chuck. The dead center will have to be
able to be adjusted vertically simply slotted angle iron with a threaded dead center. If I am losing any one, a tapered
shaft in chuck- shaft into dead center which is raised to the point where the taper runs true with the shaper.
Another words, picture a spline on the taper. If I can pull this stunt, I see a gear blank on a chucked mandrel.
I foresee duplicating a gear- blank sandwitched to a known gear as an index. I get busted gear jobs and keyway jobs
all the time, the norm is to weld up the teeth and cut teeth on the lathe (by hand) that takes all day. Keyways on
a lathe is all morning when shaper does it in minutes. The mill is out, too much to tool them for a $30 job. SOOO
Id like to know if anyone has a better idea. maybe Ill draw and post pics are better than words. samuel

My bulb's not on yet for the cheap dividing head. Maybe a drawing would help? Or maybe my bulb is just burned out. :confused:

You don't need a mill or a shaper to cut a keyway. All you need is a keyway broach and an arbor press. You can get sets for whatever size you need that contain the bushings, shims and broaches.

Tom

Sam,
Great idea, but a pic or a drawing would make it much more clear. Thanks for the great idea!!
Bob

No Tom your bulb is ok. Maybe its my bulb which means I have a hard time putting ideas into words, I should have
mentioned that I have a thing for attachments. Yes I have broaches presses, but its kind of hard to cut a tapered key
for a 10ft boat shaft. I just figure the shaper is 50x faster than the lathe. Ill see to comming up with a drawing then
one will see many possiblities for this attachment. Again this is something I saw in popular mech. in the 1940s South
Bend i think, possible theres one in an old barn somewhere but thats a slim chance.

True Tom,
and I have a really nice set of broaches, but to be truthful they are nice and clean never having been used, once you use a shaper or slotter to cut an internal keyway you never go back, and the broaches just don't work for external keyways, where a shaper or mill do.
best Regards
Rick

Yeah Rick, I suggested the broaches because it sounded from the original post that he was talking about cutting keyways in gears.

I actually use my broaches. I'm a shaper hand from way back and love the allure, but other than the cool factor, long internal keyways is about the only thing they are good for (I'm sure I'll catch flak for that comment :nono:).

Tom

Rick,

I was actually being facetious. The shaper does have its unique abilities, one of them being the ability to follow a curved line. I worked in a die shop where we would cut the relief behind the cutting edge on blanking dies and then turn them over to the grinding department for finishing (after heat treat). We would get big blocks of die steel with layout lines scribed on them and have to split the line with the block tilted to the required relief (universal table). After that I worked in a form tool shop also machining complex curves, but we used horizontal mills with a seemingly infinite selection of cutters at our disposal. The mills were much more productive, but the shapers were more fun.

Tom

simple project turning into

I got most of the parts made and for the chuck shaft It has been already threaded
for the chuck. I need another .150 off the shaft when my 1918 GK,s motor pulley
took a dump and hit the wall & belt cracked me side the head. Now I cant find the
pulley anywhere bloody crack somewhere that everbody has anyways ,
I took more pics but dastardly computor does this > if I load a pic then load another
it dumps the pic I just loaded?? must be a female computor.

Lathe back on line

Here is the threaded shaft and finished yesterday. Im sorry the rest of the parts photos will not upload Ill work on that.

my pictures.jpg

Last edited:
Back