Identify Air Compressor?

John_Dennis

Active User
Registered
I am selling a large air compressor for my father. I am certain that this is a very high quality machine even though it was sold by Sears. We bought it used around 1980 so I don't know how old it is.

It has a huge 5 horse continuous duty ball bearing Baldor motor and seems to be a heavy duty industrial machine.

The water in the tank is never rusty, so I think the tank may be galvanized. Any info would be appreciated so I can sell this.

Baldor name plate Spec 36G97 2385 Frame 184T Ser F1180 HP 5 Class F

I am trying to Identify the Manufacturer and find any info I can to aid in selling. It runs perfectly and holds air for months. I hope to get a good price for it. IMG_2319.jpg IMG_2320.jpg IMG_2323.jpg IMG_2324.jpg

Thanks

John

I think Sears sold Campbell Hausfeld or maybe Melben compressors back in the day. The only thing I can really suggest is to stress in the ad that this is a heavy duty commercial unit even though it was sold by Sears. You might also note that this was sold back when Sears actually sold quality stuff. The other sales point is that this a true 5HP compressor, not the modern ''5HP peak'' that most 2HP compressors are marketed as today.

Just a note for all potential compressor purchasers: A true 5HP compressor draws about 23 amps on 230 volts. The amp information is on the motor data plate. Don't go by the big label on the front of the compressor. Many times on the motor data plate the HP is listed as ''Special'' on these scam compressors, go by the motor amps. I have a ''7HP'' Craftsman sitting in my shop right now, guess what, the motor draws 23 amps at 230V.

I have an older version of what appears to be a very similar compressor. The pump I believe you will find to be made by Kellogg-American. Hard to tell, but might be a model 321 or 325. Have a look at this page:

http://www.aircompeq.com/ka.htm

Also, Sears also tagged theirs with their own pn system. something like 101.xxxxx or 102.xxxx, etc. That should be on the tag just below the pump in one of your pictures, or welded to the tank directly. Those are good pumps. The are not the loud, high speed pumps found on cheaper compressors, but they run around 850 RPM or so. And they run nearly forever. Sears used to have quite a bit of industrial equipment, but no more. If you were closer, I might consider buying it. Mine is down for rebuild at the moment. With this broke leg, it will be down a while longer.

That looks exactly like the one that I got from my dad, but electric and newer. He had one that was gas, and was made in 1966. The compressor looks to be a Kellogg compressor see this http://www.mastertoolrepair.com/kel...94_404.html?osCsid=t9fe1l6hejsbua0p684t4kk843, which are good compressors. The plate just below the shutoff, Take and polish it up as it should have the date of the tank etc. If it is anything like the one I have it is quite strong. I

I have a Kellogg compressor and a Champion compressor. That one looks just like my Kellogg. Mid seventies would be my guess. Great compressors, either one. My Kellogg has been used in my cabinet shop everyday now for 19 years and it was old when I got it. Still uses no oil runs like a Swiss wrist watch. Mine is a V cylinder two stage, will run two DA sanders, but works to keep up. I think mine puts out 18 cfm and has a 80 gallon tank. I have run full synthetic compressor oil since I bought it. Drain the tank daily.
Cheers
Martin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm sure the compressor is made by Kellogg. However they sold them to a number of other manufacturers that added their own motor and tank. I have a very similar unit made under the Henke Pacemaker brand. The last 3 digits on the plate on the unloader assembly will tell you the Kellogg model.

Here's a link to a site that may help you identify the model.
http://www.aircompeq.com/ka.htm

The pictures at the top of the page are the compressors still in the current model line. The chart below the table gives all the model numbers since about 1960. My compressor is the smallest 311 series. To determine the exact model you'll have to measure both the motor drive pulley and the compressor pulley.

The good news is there are still many parts available for these machines. If you need parts be sure to check several resources. There are some very reasonable prices out there, but there are also vendors that think they have the last parts in captivity and are willing to try to charge outrageous prices.

Back