I'm going to give this a try - a spool holder for a PrintDry unit

WobblyHand

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I realize I could make this out of PETG and it would probably work, but what's the fun in that? Trying to duplicate a filament spool holder for my PrintDry filament dryer. It seems the small size spool holder is too large to fit in a Prusament spool. so I designed a holder which is similar. There's not much on the base for a hold down, so I may use a brim. The original looks close to this and is made out of a rubber like material. So I am going to try TPU. This is a much smaller print than my previous one's and I hope not to stumble over the same issues.
spoolholder.jpgspoolholderbottom.jpg
The real one has twice as many ribs. I figure 20 of them are enough. If not, I'd change the polar pattern from 20 to 40.

There's a PETG bushing that fits in the hole and the shaft goes through that. I'll reuse the bushings for now.

Looking forward to your progress. I made several center of the spool desiccant containers a while back. I didn't design them.

Took me about 20 minutes, give or take, to design it in FreeCAD. It's not an exact copy, but I hope it is good enough. Will try to print it tomorrow using Sainsmart TPU. If that frustrates me too much, I will just print it in PETG, just to have something.

Might be fun to design a couple spool center section desiccant holders as well. I can use them in my other dryer.

Well, it seemed to print. This model was not MVS limited, apparently. Still need to dial in the stringing though. Blue is new printed spool holder in TPU, black are the original ones. Works, so I declare it good enough. I reused the original bushings, well, because I'm lazy... Success, since it fits the spool. Goes in about 1/2 way, which is what I wanted.
PXL_20240317_200900859crop_resize.jpg

Reprinted with GT-3 Sainsmart TPU 95A. Was able to print at 5mm3/s and hotter with very little stringing, certainly much less that the 95A Sainsmart TPU above. I think it is slightly harder, however. But the surface finish is superior on this GT-3.
PXL_20240318_182931025.jpg
Light blue is the GT-3 TPU, dark blue is the normal TPU. Had zero jams. Both printed after over night drying at 65C. Also designed the bushings and printed them in PETG. They came out fine, fit in the TPU spool adapters, and spin on the axle with low friction. The GT-3 printed like I almost knew what I was doing!

Back