In the market for a tubing bender?

Was this thread usefull in helping you decide?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rbeckett

Gold
Rest In Peace
There are a few ideas to consider before the purchase of a tubing bender.

First,
Are you going to bend tube or pipe. Seems like a silly question but there is a difference and it will matter on what dies you use.

Second,
Harbor Freight does not sell a tubing bender. In a pinch you can bend some things with proper preperation, but not well.

Third,
Do your research before parting with your hard earned dollars. Several bender makers offer free shipping or reduced die prices so look carefully at what will save you the most. Most manual benders are in the neighborhood of 70-75 pounds so freight aint cheap.

Finally,
Find and read a text called "Bending 101", it will save you a considerable bit just in reducing wrong bends.

So if you decide to get into tube fabrication for machine stands, work benches and yes even roll cages, do your homework first. You will then find several vendors, among them are Hossfield, Pro Tools, and JD squared. These are manual benders that you have the option of adding hydraulics to in the future. If you are going to build a roll cage out of 1.75X.120 tube get the hydro option first. Bending that large and that thick takes a fair amount of physical strength. There are also several DIY plans available on the net that work fairly well too. A vendor named "Got Trikes" sells a plan set that works well and is fairly easy to assemble if you have the time and materials available. For me the material cost and the machining time involved made a commercial bender more cost effective. Your situations may vary. As an add on you might consider buying a piece of software from Bend Tech, currently they are offering a 100 dollar off promotion. Definately worth the investment if you plan to bend more than occasionally. One of the nice features of the bend tech software is the ability to output the fish mouth templates to a printer and reuse the more common ones as well as have the correct fish mouth for whatever angle the tubes meet at.

Bob

I have a pro-tools 105 bender with stand and handle I bought several years ago, I also bought a 10ton 14" stroke hydraulic cylinder.. I plan on making the cylinder adapter block and mounting the cylinder and probably will sell it, I dont care to use it anymore..

Tubing benders are worth every penny, I made several thousands of dollars with mine.. Its fun bending and building cages, kind of tedious, also made several sets of subframe connectors, and handrails...

Brucer,
Did you use Bend Tech or dead reckon all of your bends? I have a JD Squared Model 3 with a 1.25X180 degree tube die on it. I use it to build single seat long travel Buggy Chassis. I power them with repurposed Motorcycle engines usually from an insurance wreck yard. Your right about being tedious, getting the copes just right and making sure you dont end up short is painstaking. Glad to see someone else into buying extra tools too. My wife thinks I am queer for the tool guy, she says I spend more on him than I ever did on her. I just think she is jealous. Heh heh. Have a great day!!!
Bob

I used a pencil,calculator, posterboard and eyeball, seems I did more hand fitting than anything. It was fun when I was younger, I dont think I could do it now if I had to..

Tube Benders ive had in the past.
Hossfeid #2
JD Squared #4
Both benders I used for construcing Drag car chassis. The Hossfeild was my first bender. It was a good machine, and expensive for its time. The JD bender is much more user friendly, But I didnt like the aluminum shoes they used on the die sets. These require you to use lue while bending, and having slippery hands while handling tube , and the bender wasnt Ideal. I went for the JD #4 because the die sets from the old Hossfeild fit right up.

The hossfeild bender will do more things, but I would only concider that brand if those options are needed. I like the cast iron dies over alum. I mostly bent 4130 tubing, and the cast dies showed very little wear after yrs of use, and without lube.
Both have good points, and bad. The JD kind of made the old hossfeild feel dated. Both had hydraulic power, 4130 is brutal to bend without it.

Paul

Back