Increase 4th axis feed rate

Nate Banton

Registered
Registered
Not a Taig specific question, but I'm having trouble finding an answer so I thought I'd try here.

I'd like to increase the feed rate of the 4th axis (A). I'm using mach 4. Thoughts how to do that?

What is going on? Is it stalling? or software limited?

I use Mach 4 all the time.

You know, feed rate is probably the wrong term to use. I want to increase the rotation speed of the A axis. I'm fine with the feed rate of the other axises, but (I think) something in Mach 4 is limiting the speed of the A axis.

I'm very much a beginner so assume I'm dense as hell.

About once a year, usually if I'm having a problem remembering how I did something in Mach, I break out the Mach Manual. It is pretty well written, covers most everything and worth a read cover to cover. You should find your answer in there. Likely you will need to go into the settings to decrease the number of pulses it takes to move your A axis a certain amount. What is your setup? Is it a parallel port, smooth-stepper or other? I have to confess that I have not set up an A axis.

Each axis is setup in the Configure -> Control -> Motors Tab. You can adjust the velocity of the motor (max speed) by clicking on the appropriate motor on the right and entering a new velocity value.
1598978201279.png
(ignore the Avid configuration thing here, I just pulled this as a stock image. Click on "Control...")

1598978189772.png

If it was configured by a machine vendor, increasing it beyond the current value could cause the motor to stall. Before you do all this, find out if your feedrate in your code is limiting it, or if you are really at the axis max speed. Jogging the axis at 100% or issuing a G0 A3600 would do the same thing.

Back