Indexable face mill with smaller mills?

Jason280

Registered
Registered
I recently picked up a Grizzly G0704 milling machine, set up with DRO and power feed on the X axis. I've ordered a few end mills and a fly cutter to use with 3/16" HSS blanks, but I'd like to pick up an indexable face mill.

What size face mill could I get away with on my machine? Primary use will be 6061 aluminum, but occasional mild steel. Thanks!

I own a G0704 and feel that a 2" is about the biggest you can reasonably use. Just understand the DOC has to be conservative. Honestly, Tormach has done a good job proving that a fly cutter does better than a facemill on these smaller machines. They also recommend only running a facemill with a single insert.

There are tons of guys on here who make some incredible stuff with Sherlines. For those of us who don't have a 3000lb knee mill, we make do with what we have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out the 2" Glacern FM45 face mill. The inserts have positive rake so works better in smaller milling machines with lighter cuts.
I have one for my 1HP Rockwell, works really good on steel, have not tried aluminum (yet).
I would not get anything bigger, the stock 3/4HP motor barely powered it, recent 1HP upgrade fixed that.
Their 3/4" EM90 Is also worth getting, for same reasons.
No affiliation, just a happy return customer.

I definitely would stay 2" or less, my main concern would be killing one of the gears in the head (seems to be a common failure with the G0704).

I found this one on eBay, which is just shy of 2"...

The 1604 inserts are what are used on the smaller Galcern EM90 end mills, I would be cautious using it on something that large, from my experience with the 3/4 EM90, it is fairly aggressive. FM45 style is much smoother cut, although you can't get into a corner.

I noticed that on the website, but I have read that face mills can be hard on some of the smaller machines. I'm actually holding off on the face mill for right now, I'd like to see how well it does with a fly cutter. I ordered one last week that uses 3/16" HSS tool blanks, so now I have to learn how to correctly grind tool blank angles.

Back