Indicol on rf30

tcweb

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have an indicol (indicator holder) that I like to use on bridgeports, but on the RF30, the depth stop assembly nut interferes with the indicol, so you can't really use it.
I have a cheap holder that just goes into a 3/8" collet.

Has anyone modified the depth stop assembly? I'd be curious to see if it can somehow be re-worked so that it doesn't extend below the quill mounting plate...
It's easy enough to remove, but I was hoping someone had some clever ideas to keep it somewhat functional.

-Tom

I haven't done it yet but I will once I find time to install my Mit quill readout. I agree that thing gets in the way.

The whole mounting plate for the quill stop on my HF 33686 (RF30 KO) is slit with a pinch bolt that squeezes the quill. I loosened the pinch bolt and slid it up the quill a bit so that the knob clears my indicator holder. I loose about 3/8" of Z travel.

Well that seems simple enough...Maybe I was so worried about losing Z travel, that I just didn't consider that. :)

If I get some time, I'd love to re-engineer the assembly. Possibly using the same thread as a Bridgeport, so I can use the quick-change Bridgeport spring clip depth stop.

-Tom

Can anyone confirm the threaded rod size used on most Bridgeports mills for the quill depth stop?

Can anyone confirm the threaded rod size used on most Bridgeports mills for the quill depth stop?

If you did use the Bridgeport size 1/2 - 20 threaded rod for a depth stop then you could also use a Bridgeport "Educated Nut" it has a push button to let it slide then it can twist for fine adjustment with a scale on it to go along with 20 turns per inch. Also could use a Bridgeport quick clamp type quill stop which are easy to use also.

I think I have a quick clamp stop, which is why this may be the time to make the conversion. I have a length of 1/2-20, so maybe I'll get to this soon....

Back