Inside the motor

Thanks for posting!
Brian

Those old R&P motors were workhorses! Worked on quite a few back in the mid 70's

As you will see and hear I put the rear end bell back on the motor and powered it up again. I still need to pull the front-end bell off and paint the windings in the stator like I did the rear. As you can hear me say in the video the clicking, I think is coming from the brushes rubbing on the armature. There is a lot of end play in the rotor so I can shake the table the motor is on and make the clicking go away. When I take the front-end bell off, I am going to look for a way to reduce the end play. Because it does not have ball bearings like the new motors have, I don't know if it is supposed to have the spring washers in the end to reduce end play. Perhaps jbobb1 can steer me in the right direction.

As you will see and hear I put the rear end bell back on the motor and powered it up again. I still need to pull the front-end bell off and paint the windings in the stator like I did the rear. As you can hear me say in the video the clicking, I think is coming from the brushes rubbing on the armature. There is a lot of end play in the rotor so I can shake the table the motor is on and make the clicking go away. When I take the front-end bell off, I am going to look for a way to reduce the end play. Because it does not have ball bearings like the new motors have, I don't know if it is supposed to have the spring washers in the end to reduce end play. Perhaps jbobb1 can steer me in the right direction.

Here is a video of how it works. This guy has been a wonderful resource when working on these old R/I motors.

Very informative video. That style motor is not what you'd usually see. I remember only after watching the video, and that was when I was a tadpole. Most of what I worked one were not as involved as the Century. Same concept though.
As far as endplay, sleeve bearing motors have some. You wouldn't use any kind of spring washers to reduce endplay. We always had a large selection of fiber and nylon spacers of different thicknesses for that purpose. You could make them out of some nylon stock.

Front end bell back on after cleaning. A few more mud dauber nests in the front end. The end play in the armature is necessary for the shorting ring to work. Without the pulley on the shaft, I could see the armature shift back to the left when I killed power to it and the motor was winding down to a stop. After working on this motor, I realize there was some great engineering put into making these old Beauty Queens. For now, I am not going to repaint the motor or the machine. I have other machines that I am working on and my time is better used in working on them. Thanks to all for stopping by.

Back