Inspection Cameras

Kenwc

Registered
Registered
Folks....just curious if any of you have and use, inspection cameras for seeing the internals when working on machines....and how well they work.

Thanks

Ken

In some side side work I do, I run a bit of cabling in walls, and other inaccessible spots, and I use a camera to view obstructions. If you get a good one, they are worth their weight in gold. I have also used on to peer inside spark plug holes in engine work. You get what you pay for. A cheap BW camera is better than nothing, but a color remote articulated head is very nice. In machine rebuilding, it would sure beat a mirror and a flashlight.

I picked up an optical bore scope a few years ago. Biggest waste of $200 I can think of (but I'm sure I've done worse). The electronic ones are cheaper now, so I'd check them out. Take along a piece of pipe or something to look inside of before you buy it.

Hi, as a newbie trying to find a thread I could usefully reply to, I found this one. I have recently purchased an inspection camera and find it fascinating for jobs I could never have imagined. The device is sold by 'Ring' in England, an automotive and lighting company and already it has helped me to diagnose a couple of problems in those inaccessible spots on my cars. I have not had the opportunity to try the video feature yet but for reaching into and around structures a the top of a ladder (looking for wasps nests behind the eaves of our house) it has been great. I might add a suggestion though, they make several models, but I chose to buy the cheapest which uses your laptop as the screen and driving unit, the pictures are big and clear and using a netbook you can still use it up ladders and other awkward places. Oh! and the camera unit is waterproof so although only a couple of feet long, it can still peep into water to see what's going on inside a tank or pipe if you cannot drain it (I had a waste pipe below the ground which was blocked). I can really recommend this to any mad DIYers or just tool geeks like myself, it is also fun for the whole family who will find really strange uses for it ( although my daughter's suggestion regarding a cheap colonoscopy did not go down too well). What do I consider cheap? about £50, although you can get cheaper ones on the internet I am well pleased with the quality of this one.

I have the millwaukee cordless one,
I am really pleased with it.

The grandkids are facinated when they look into their own mouth or their ear !!
( the probe head is too large to go into and rupture the ear drum )

These cameras come in handy more than you can imagine !!!

Not quite the same but I bought a borescope camera that plugs into a USB port. Use a laptop or some tablets in the shop. It is only 5.5 mm in diameter so it fits in a .22 barrel. Pretty cheap only $15 to 20 depending on seller. Most have free shipping.

guvcview_image-2.jpg

I have this one ... http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-inspection-camera-67979.html ... and have used it to inspect parts under the dash of my car and in the wall of the house that I could not get to without a great deal of work.

I thought it was worth it.

Arvid

I also have one from HF, don't use it much but has been very nice to have when I wanted it. Got it for Christmas about 4 years ago.

I would get another if this one quits working.

Back