Installed a Soleus 5000watt, 17,100btu heater (220v 30amp)

brucer

Active User
Registered
heres a pic of the soleus 5000w garage heater i just installed in my 24x30 shop.. i'll upload a video in a few minutes..

i plan on adding a 2pole line voltage thermostat, just wanted to get it wired and running to see how it was going to act.. the little unit puts out quite a bit of heat. it cost $200 at menards, i had the wire and receptacle and conduit..

I'll be pretty pleased after i add the thermostat..

IMG00499-20111109-1809.jpg

i'm back....

my garage/shop is 24x30.
to explain the layout a little, i have 2 foot wide shelving down the right side wall, tool boxes and and another set of shelves on another wall.. the left wall i have a 4x8 workbench and bridgeport mill on on that side and i have a 1927 ford in the middle of the shop, so alot of volume is taken up in the garage.

i have a 30k btu propane ventless heater on the back wall, i used it last year, and particularly dont like using it as main heat source, and the electric heat is safer. i'm going to keep the propane ventless for backup in case it gets real cold this year i can fire it up if i have to..

the video isnt anything special, i just shot a quick video of the heater installed and running.. its pretty quiet, and it does put out a good amount of heat and airflow, after i get a thermostat wired up i'll be pleased..

the large black mount at the rear of the heater didnt come with the heater.. i had an old TV mount and i used it..

[video=youtube_share;_wYm4tNGTm8]http://youtu.be/_wYm4tNGTm8[/video]

Currently the only heat in my shop is me when I am in there. I like the idea of the electric heater like you have. Thanks for posting.

After watching the heater video, I took the liberity to watch your Bridgeport Mill video. I want to know how and/or why you mounted it on the wall and even more how did you get the junction box lid to stay open with no strings. :biggrin:

i didnt want the vfd mounted on the mill, i plan on running a lathe off the same vfd, I have to get a lathe first though..

the enclosure is mounted on the wall, then there is a removable plate inside the enclosure, the vfd, and breaker is mounted to the plate..
the door on the enclosure is sealed, it is also hinged and has a barrel lock on it, the seal pushes the door open.. to latch the door i have to push it in with a little force and latch it..

Back