Invest in Old or Buy New?

Phil3

Active User
Registered
I own a 1946 9" Southbend lathe and a Rotex horizontal/vertical small knee mill. The lathe still needs a steady rest, follower, carriage stop, and the tailstock spindle is worn. I thought about modifying it to up the top rpm of about 600 to something higher . If I want collets, if needs 3C collets, far more costly than the 5C. At some point, one has to wonder if this makes sense vs a newer Aisian machine that comes with some of these things and/or uses common sizes of tooling.

The Rotex uses very weird XX or YY collets (which I have). Fitment of a DRO is difficult due to the design and would cut the 5" Y travel a fair amount. It is a simple mill, and easy to work on, but is heavily built. As rare as it is, it does not seem to present the quandary I feel with the Southbend. What do you you guys think or have you ever been in this situation. If so, what did you do and what was your reasoning?

Phil

when i first started looking at lathes i looked at some china made lathes and talked to some machinist about them, they said as a hobby they would be fine but if you were going to use as a production lathe or a bread and potato lathe you wont get the moneys worth, mine is a 1946 sheldon made for the military 11" i dug it out of a scrap pile at a old saw mill, brought her home cleaned her up oiled her turned her on and wala purred like a kitten, since then i bought 1 new idler gear 132.00 cross feed screw and nut 130.00 and about 20lbs of tooling 18.00 and a steak dinner for a 40 yr veteran machinist to check her out for me, his mouth started watering about 15 minutes after using her and showing me things about her do's and dont's. the first thing he made for me was a bar to check tail to spindle alignment dead on after all these yrs, does the new lathes look sweet oh ya but will it pay for its self, with me prob not, i really think any machine is good it all depends on what you do with it and how you take care of it, just my 2 cents worth:biggrin:

I like old machines for some reason...:biggrin:
Maybe it is because i collect old hand tools and they kind of go hand in hand?

Anyway when i was looking for a lathe i looked at all the ones around me, both new and old.
With the new ones and the old ones there would be a strip, clean, fit check and reassemble time.
However most of the older ones just needed a good cleaning and they would be ready to go.

So far i have a Myford ML7 that i love and will never sell!:biggrin:
The South Bend 9A is new (1949) to me and i have yet to set it up but i know it will be my go to lathe!
It has the gearbox and power feeds and is a bit larger than the Myford.

So i have a 7 and a 9" swing in my basement!:biggrin:

And i already know that the next one will also be an old lathe with a bigger swing!

The newest machine is my Sieg SX2L mill.
It is nice but does not feel the same as the old iron.

My feeling is that if i want a good quality brand new lathe i will not be able to afford it.
And this is a hobby for me so the budget is kind of limited by that! This is most likely a good thing or i would run out of space rather quickly!!!:biggrin:

Everyone will have their own opinion on this!
This is just my 2Cents worth!:)

Andrew

It depends on if you want to spend a lot of time & $ rebuilding what you have which will not change the work envelope or capabilities any OR
get instant gratification & buy a Chicom lathe that is ready to use (if you choose carefully) with far more capabilities for a fair price IMHO;)
I have ordered the PM 1440B Gear head lathe from Quality Machine for $4400 delivered with a taper attachment, 2inch through hole, QC tool post and 5 holders, pull out chip pan for easy clean up, foot break 3HP single phase mtr, coolant system, cast iron base, halogen work light, all the normal stuff (steady, follower, drill chuck, live ctr, etc.) Weight aprox. 1850 lbs.
Have not read any neg feedback about this machine or company except slow shipping cause they come from China.
Also have a good guarantee and parts.
I have owned several lathes over my 71 years of living and would not buy a worn out piece of American iron and rebuild it unless the bones are in good shape IE the ways and castings, I would buy a sound lathe all that it needs tweaking and cleaning. All the rest of the clunkers would be for parts IMHO.:whistle:
Well I now wait for the flame job from the American purest that would buy nothing but American wore out equipment, and I am not stating that there are not nice good condition lathes out there but they are not the ones for sale 99% of the time & if you are lucky enough to find a good one be ready for the old standards and limitations IE Babbitt bearings, slower speeds small spindle holes and its not good to use carbide on slow speed machines.
OK fire away guys I can take it I am old and tough:lmao:

Well I now wait for the flame job from the American purest that would buy nothing but American wore out equipment, and I am not stating that there are not nice good condition lathes out there but they are not the ones for sale 99% of the time & if you are lucky enough to find a good one be ready for the old standards and limitations IE Babbitt bearings, slower speeds small spindle holes and its not good to use carbide on slow speed machines.
OK fire away guys I can take it I am old and tough:lmao:

Ahh, but you'll be waiting a long time. We don't flame anyone for their opinion here. That's one thing that separates us from the other guys. It's against our policy of friendliness. ;)

To Invest in Old or Buy New?

Well thats a question that comes up a fair bit.
I have yrs ago, 1984 or so, purchased a brand new 12X37 lathe that was built in tiawon. I needed a lathe in my Biz, back then, and the local busy -bee was just 5- min away from the shop. I really didnt think this machine would live through the crap we put it through, and I figured it would last a couple of yrs at best. Boy, I was wrong. That lathe was well used, and abused, and just kept on working, making parts, doing repairs till I sold it to a good friend a few yrs back.

For a offshore built machine, I must say, it did surprize me it lasted all those yrs. For a guy looking to buy a machine these days, I would say, have a look at the offerings of china, tiawon and the like. They are aleast new, have all the bits and pcs you will want. The options like cam lock spindle, taper attachment, should be a option, if not standaed equipment.

At least you would be starting with a new machine, and should let you start making chips without repairing the machine first. The worst part of old iron, is finding the missing pieces. The other problem can be a worn out older machine.
Though many guys will dig up old iron, and they will spend way to much time reviving the dead. In my personal opinion, my time is worth something, and my idea of a rebuild/over haul is not a good scub down with a scotch brite pad, and repaint it. All you will have from that, is a good looking worn out machine.

Now Im sure there are some guys that are reading this, thinking, this guy must be a big fan of import machines. Well, as said, I had a import lathe for many yrs, and sold it. I do have a old American Lathe. Its a 1941 Sidney, 14X30 that weighs in at over 4,000 pounds. But,,I have had the import long enough to learn what I needed to about lathes before I went the old iron route. When I bought a milling machine, I had my sights set on a Bridgeport. I had spent over 2 yrs looking for a good BP., and several tanks of gas, and many miles in that search. I finally stopped looking, and started looking at other brands. I did find a real nice 9X42 Induma mill, that has been serving me well for many yrs now.
Its a 1969 model, and its not near as old as my Sidney, Ive run this machine for many yrs, without needing to rebuid it.

The good stuff is getting very hard to obtain these days. Old iron is nice, but to find missing parts, deal with wear, along with finding surprizes when tearing it down for clean up, some times is just not worth the hassle. My lathe was bought for the price of scap, and I put it in service for a good yr before parting with my import lathe. I would think a new lathe with out history is a better bet for a newbie, or machinist with limited experiance.

Of coarse, everyone is different, and your mileage may vary. And, some guys will buy the old iron as a fixer upper, because they enjoy the journy bringing it back to life. If you rather get on with your machining hobbys, and making chips/parts, a new import is a good choice. If rebuilding a old machine is your thing, well by all means, have a look at the older american iron offerings.

For me, Ive aways needed a machine that would produce parts now, and had no time to spend rebuilding a worn out machine. Just my thoughts on the subject, being Ive had a new import, and now have the old iron. But allways remember, when looking at the older stuff, condition, condition, condition, is the differance between hauling home a machine that you will grow old repairing, or making the chips fly NOW!

Just my 02 cents worth

8ntsane

I guess my answer would be "It depends" or "both".
I like old iron. I like rescuing an old lathe and making it look shiny and clean and ready to work or play.
But when I'm working on such a project, I'm making parts on a 1985 Enco lathe, made in Taiwan.

Right now I have a US-made mill and lathe, and two import lathes and one import mill.
I'll probably keep the US-made tools, and sell the Enco lathe to buy a new Asian 12x36.

And if some orphan iron happens along I'll probably not be able to resist. I still scan CL several times a day.

My suggest if you don't know anything about lathes, is to buy a new import, 10" or larger.
But before you do, watch the ads for a week or so and see if something nice pops up.

Here is the search string I use on CL: lathe | milling|mill|shaper
Paste that into the search box, hit Search, then bookmark the result and make a tab. Then click on it once or twice a day.
The good deals go fast, and the first to show up with the money wins.

There is really no answer to your question, but the one you give. There are those that would rather buy new and there are those like me , that like old machines/tools. I have a friend with a new shiney Grizzly and he is tickled pink. I hunted 2 years for a good SB 10L, found one shipped Aug. 1981 to a guy with a hobby shop. It is in near new condition and I am tickled pink too. Both machines do good work and each of us are happy.
Bobby

For some here, the choice of new Asian or old American is based on desire or preference, which of course is fine. I have no allegiance to one or the other, and am looking at it functionality, parts, cost, available options, etc.

My Southbend 9A could use a micrometer carriage stop, follower rest, steady rest, increased rpm, and a less sloppy steady rest. These things will cost me another $650 and probably about $150 to ship. Figure another $800. The lathe was $850. I rebuilt it ($80), added a new Bison 3 jaw chuck ($350), used 4 jaw chuck ($170), QCTP set ($150), and a beefy steel table ($250). That amounted to another $1000. When all said and done, total cost will be about $2650.

A Grizzly G4003 is $400 more, delivered. It is a 12" x 36". Has no micrometer stop, but spins over 2X as fast as the SB, has a follower and steady rest, as well as both 3 and 4 jaw chucks, QCTP (just one holder), faceplate, and other miscellaneous stuff. Not worn, beefier (2x the mass of the SB), and ability to cut metric threads, it starts to look pretty attractive. It has no table, but have the equipment here to build something pretty substantial for not much $$$.
The Grizzly also has a 1-7/16" spindle bore vs the SB 3/4" and it also does not use 3C collets.

May just spend more time with the SB and learn before investing in new, only getting things for the SB I absolutely must have.

- Phil

Back