Is there a substitute oil for air compressor oil?

I went to a farm supply store to look for lightweight hydraulic oil that was in a gallon or less. The smallest container I could find was 2.5 gal. at about $30.00. After all of this, I bought two containers of air compressor oil. 16 oz for about 3-4 $ each. I have no idea of the weight of this oil.

I had thought about using ATF but didn't ask. Maybe I'll try ATF......

I also got another belt. Hopefully, with the new oil, it will not be as stiff and I don't have to babysit this thing in cold weather.

Thanks for everybody's input!

Shortly after I got my Gardner Denver Air compressor, the weather dropped really cold and was hovering in the minus 15 C range. The compressor refused to start up.

I drained the oil and replaced it with ISO 100, 30/40 Wt synthetic compressor oil and it started right up with no more problems.

Conventional oils tend to thicken too much in low temperature, so by going to a synthetic oil with a much more stable temperature range the machine will operate in lower lows and hotter highs with less problems.

Walter

Is there a substitute oil for air compressor oil? I need to change mine as it's too stiff in the cold weather. I forgot and left it plugged in! It burnt my new belt in half.

So, do I need to buy the expensive oil marked for compressors?

What are your thoughts?

I hope to pick up some oil tomorrow along with a new belt.

Opinions and manufacturer recommendations on air compressor oil seem to vary a lot. You don't say the make of your compressor pump. There are good arguments pro and con on using detergent oils. If it were mine I would probably use 0W30 full synthetic motor oil--it's fairly cheap at Walmart. For occasional use in cold weather, I think the most important thing is that the oil be fluid enough to lubricate the pump bearings, not overload the motor and belt, etc.

Also in Minnesota, where it's been pretty cold most of the last couple of weeks.

Opinions and manufacturer recommendations on air compressor oil seem to vary a lot. You don't say the make of your compressor pump. There are good arguments pro and con on using detergent oils. If it were mine I would probably use 0W30 full synthetic motor oil--it's fairly cheap at Walmart. For occasional use in cold weather, I think the most important thing is that the oil be fluid enough to lubricate the pump bearings, not overload the motor and belt, etc.

Also in Minnesota, where it's been pretty cold most of the last couple of weeks.

That's probably what I'll do. I'll return the small over priced bottles.

On the railroad we have an air compressor on ever locomotive and over 5000 units and they all run hydraulic oil in the A.C.

Is there a substitute oil for air compressor oil? I need to change mine as it's too stiff in the cold weather. I forgot and left it plugged in! It burnt my new belt in half.

So, do I need to buy the expensive oil marked for compressors?

What are your thoughts?

I hope to pick up some oil tomorrow along with a new belt.

buy amsoil compressor oil. That brought my Smith back to life.

Back