Is this a bad idea? Modifying a timing gear

Inferno

Registered
Registered
I'm going to add a stepper drive to my X axis on my Smithy Midas combo.
On the left, in the image below, is the piece I'm removing to make room for the timing gear on the right.
The problem is that the timing gear is 7mm wider than the gauge I'm removing so I either need to shave the gear down, where the set screws are, or remove another part from the X-axis shaft support. That is doable but I'd have to add 4mm in shims because that part is 11mm.

My plan.

Shave down the set screw part of the timing gear and then add set screws directly into the gear itself. I have almost 2/3 of the gear that will have belt on it when it's all assembled. I don't think the holes in the gear will affect performance but that's why I'm posting this to see if there's something I'm missing.

Also, I ordered a 4mm broach today for the timing gear. It's probably the only time I'll ever need it so I didn't buy anything fancy.

20230526_105222.jpg
20230526_105231.jpg

Just deburr it well and it will be fine.

There will be some odd wear to the belt teeth, but this would only really matter in a 1-1 ratio where the same spots on the belt would come into contact with the hole. Even then it probably wouldn't manifest its self (The belt damage) in under 1000hrs.

I've seen many, many pulleys with set screws in the belt lands. Common and acceptable practice.

It's unanimous, so far. Think of how many teeth are engaged with the belt at any time. A couple of set screw holes will only diminish the belt/gear contact area by a small percentage (<5%?). Anything (burrs or raised metal) proud of the proper tooth profile will give you grief in belt damage so deburr well.

Sounds good, all.
Now to make sure I have a tap that will go all the way through.

I just bought a broach cutter from Ebay so the project isn't going anywhere any time soon but, at least, I can get the gear cut down, drilled, threaded and then deburred.

The drive gear will be 40 tooth. The slave gear will be 80 tooth and the belt is 150 tooth.

So, if the math in my head is right, every tenth tooth of the belt will touch each of the set screw holes. I can change that by setting the second set screw off of 90 degrees.

Either way, I don't think it's going to be a problem and belts are cheap.

Back