Is this insane? (Adding a high speed spindle)

3Dogs

Registered
Registered
I have been reading this fantastic thread:
Mike's CNC G0704 - Block 4 Upgrades

I am considering getting a PM833TV, but the highest factory speed is still a bit low for some of what I anticipate doing (machining Teflon). So, I have been looking at options to increase the spindle speed, but I also don’t want to lose too much low-speed torque.
I had a thought (or maybe, just a crazy idea) - once the machine is upgraded to CNC, all the junk on the right side of the head can be discarded. What is stopping me from getting a high-speed spindle and mounting it to the head on that side, and having a dual-spindle machine? Is that nuts? Has anyone ever heard of this?

I have been reading this fantastic thread:
Mike's CNC G0704 - Block 4 Upgrades

I am considering getting a PM833TV, but the highest factory speed is still a bit low for some of what I anticipate doing (machining Teflon). So, I have been looking at options to increase the spindle speed, but I also don’t want to lose too much low-speed torque.
I had a thought (or maybe, just a crazy idea) - once the machine is upgraded to CNC, all the junk on the right side of the head can be discarded. What is stopping me from getting a high-speed spindle and mounting it to the head on that side, and having a dual-spindle machine? Is that nuts? Has anyone ever heard of this?
Tormach had a side mounted high speed spindle as an option on their PCNC1100

I can't find the links now but I have seen some builds where a high speed Dremel type tool is mounted to the side of the mill head. Possibly a little sketchy but might be a good option for low volume work.

I've used air tools and a Precise die grinder mounted to the BP quill in the past :encourage:

Back