Is this the same as Turcite ?

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter

I think so but I'm far from an expert.
Did find this though:

So it would seem. Turcite looks to be a composite consisting of Acetal and PTFE so it has high lubricity. MDS-filled nylon is less expensive. But nylon is reported to absorb moisture so it depends on your application.

Acetal/Delrin is pretty slippery on its own...

In other words, there is Turcite, and then there is Turcite --- The one used for machine tool rebuilding is, as I said, PTFE and bronze powder and is flexible, unlike acetyl, another brand name is Rulon.
I remember Richard King mentioned the same thing about Rulon at the scraping class.

I remember Richard King mentioned the same thing about Rulon at the scraping class.
I am learning that there are different grades of Turcite. Seems like Turcite B is the one to use for bearing ways.

Turcite B and buy the glue at the same time. The glue is dated and fresh glue is important. The glue will cost extra to ship as it has to go ground/ hazardous.
Go a little large as it is a whole lot better to trim it after gluing then having to tear it off and replace it when it shifts during clamping.
When it comes to gluing the surface can't be clean enough.
Delrin has been used on some equipment but not much in the machining side.
It's kinda thick and would have to be mechanically fastened. It wouldn't be desirable for your purposes.

This is interesting. I've been recently researching guide ring materials for hydraulic cylinders (for a press) and it appears there too the best material is PTFE filled with bronze. It is available in two types. 40% and 60% filled with different strengths. I wonder if this is essentially the same material as Turcite/Rulon? The price seems high enough. I recently found a "great deal" at $6.50 for a 15mm (~5/8ths inch) strip 16in long, the thickness is 0.1in.

The widest strips I saw were 20mm (~3/4in).

Does Turcite cost about the same for a small strip?

If Turcite/Rulon is not available in your area, perhaps this is a good alternative? It is supposed to be incompressible up to it's strength limit that approaches bronze.

Back