Is this work bench suitable for my Atlas 10D lathe?

Quick Cal

Registered
Registered
So I was all set to start building a stand in y basement tomorrow. It will be in a cubby hole surrounded by 3 walls. I would just build a 7' long bench attached to the wall and stiff legs under it. No problem.

But then this work bench just popped up near me. The guy is wanting $175. But most I'd pay is $100,,,lol. Cause I can build one.

This Kobalt bench is rated for 1100 ponds. I would want to build a 2x top for it. So would it work?

Build or buy? Thanks

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-45-in-W-x-36-in-H-3-Drawer-Hardwood-Work-Bench/1002624252

Attachments

• 406921165_7772220526125507_3806505600011334571_n.jpg
    406921165_7772220526125507_3806505600011334571_n.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 5
I would honestly rather build it. Those lower end work bench/tool boxes are usually pretty flimsy. That 1100 pound rating seems very generous to me lol. With something that light weight it might cause vibration problems too when your using the lathe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Search your local Craigslist or FB Marketplace for someone giving away an older office desk.

Or, if you want it to fill the space build it from 4x4’s and plywood subfloor. Attach it to the wall and it should be rock solid.

John

The heavier and more solid the better. Look at some of the older better quality lathes. They had cast iron pedestals underneath them. The more mass the less vibrations. Above all have fun. It is amazing to see some of the work put out on the members Atlas lathes.

I think I already said my piece on it. But I’d not spend any money for the first one. There will be a second one at some point. Save your money for that one.

The Manual of Lathe Operations (MOLO) has plans for stands for the Atlas/Craftsman lathes. Let that be your guide for the minimum stand for your lathe.

Are you asking if we think that bench is sturdy enough? I'd say yes, if you wanted to use it as a base to support a wider top and the whole thing fastened to the walls.

Are you asking if we think that bench is sturdy enough? I'd say yes, if you wanted to use it as a base to support a wider top and the whole thing fastened to the walls.
Yes. That's what I was asking and how I had planned on using it.

But it doesn't matter now. He won't come off $150 and it's not worth that to me.

Thanks for all the replies.

If you dont need the draws and back stop ….i say build to your satisfaction.
That bench might support 1100lbs but how sturdy it is for running the lathe?
I have a smithy 1220 @ 500 lbs on top of the factory bench.
I feel like it “vibrates” as its very similar to these box store work benches.
You could find better benches used for good deals , just look and be quick .

Back