It isn't done yet, but I got a pretty good start

MERLIncMan

Registered
Registered
I was working in the Smithy today, it's Machine Shop adjacent; and I got some work done on a project that I started about a year ago (14 months ago on Monday actually).

I'm not sure how it's going to turn out - didn't really spend any time on the plans, and I most certainly started this particular project much too late (for reasonable purposes).

Probably the most expensive project I'll ever undertake.... likely a poor decision on my part. Luckily, the materials are rather cheap, and so far it works as designed.

Say hello to the grey in my beard - just in time for a tax deduction :cool:

IMG_20230616_190257.jpg

IMG_20230616_190226.jpg

Fantastic work!

....ain't that the truth.
And well worth every penny, second, headache, diaper, sleepless night, laugh, tear, smile, frustration, etc.

It's good to get them in the shop young.

Brian
I've already got one at 15, and another at 12. Like I said... the grey in my beard!

All three of them are the double X model. Between them and my machines, the dog and I are the only males (except the 2nd cat). I think I'm going to have to declare that all non-powered hand-tools are male, just to even things out.

Very cute- tall forehead, probably a large brain= smart

The manufacturing is done, you just need to do the alignment and periodic maintenance :)

Last edited:
I made a few of those. They're overrated.
They're like a boat. Cost a ton of money and you only get to enjoy them once in a while. You don't just buy one and call it good. It's tons of money to maintain them.
At first you're really excited about them but realize the first couple years it's all about maintenance. Every time you look at it, it needs something. For the first 10 years or so there are quite a few enjoyable moments but they still need regular maintenance. It all costs money. After they're a dozen years old, you can't pay someone to take it away but still pay for the maintenance. After 20 years you can just leave it and walk away or pay someone else to maintain it.
Sure, you might think about it and even think about doing something with it but otherwise it's just there sometimes.

Picked up our 25 Y.O. daughter from the airport yesterday. Always a joy to have her in our home.

John

Back