J.G.H. Pillar Drill (anyone know of these)

Richard B

Registered
Registered
I have a J.G.H. pillar drill, very old school with cast belt cover, back gear and takes MT3. According to the label on the headstock this was imported into the UK by Stanton Thompson of Kingston upon Thames and it uses imperial threads in it's assembly.

I am trying to find out where this was manufactured (for my own interest), as it is a superb machine and I like to know the history of things. I'll post some pictures later. I did an iternet search and found one other such drill here on a company website, but they have sold it.

When I bought it the back gears had been stripped. It looked like someone had engaged the gears whilst the motor was still running.
I've managed to have new gears made and a new return spring, as that subsequently failed. A friend has just reassembled the headstock for me as I was to cack handed to set it up right (I tried and failed).

As it is imperial (UNF) I'm assuming US or Canadian. J.G.H is stamped into the top of the column with the serial number.

Let's see some pictures of it! Old machinery is always fun to look at.

When I first saw 'Pillar' in the title I was thinking a post or column type drill, So JGH must be the mfg. maybe?
A google search returns a PDF of a 1965 machine tool exhibition in AU, lists a bunch of pillar drills but no JGH.

=
==
===
worthless.gif
===
==
=

worthless.gif

Like middle.road I thought it was a post drill... I liked his post just because of his graphics! (but then I'm easy)

P1010038.jpgP1010040.jpgP1010006.jpgP1010043.jpgP1010046.jpg
These are when it was partially dismantled. I'm putting it back together at present

P1010038.jpg P1010040.jpg P1010006.jpg P1010043.jpg P1010046.jpg

The UK has cool looking machines... Quite unique from the US. (I was going to put colonies but then I remembered Australia...)

Sorry about the long delay. I managed to find someone to cut me replacement gears, so now I have backgear. I also had to have a new Quill-shaft return spring made.

This definately looks like a clone of a Meddings or Forbo

Sorry about the long delay. I managed to find someone to cut me replacement gears, so now I have backgear. I also had to have a new Quill-shaft return spring made.

This definately looks like a clone of a Meddings or Forbo
I bet this was (nicely) made in Taiwan. The font of the badge on the front leads me to think that. This doesn't look like US makes that I'm familiar with. Pretty cool though.

Tim

Back