Jacobs 18N Super Chuck Rebuild

Rick_B

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
Good morning - I am in the process of reassembling a Jacobs 18N ball bearing chuck and "think" I am short a few ball bearings. I don't think I lost any but who knows? Anyway I have 32 ball bearings but there appears to be a two bearing gap when I reassemble.

Does anyone know how many bearings I should have or a source for technical document that defines the number of ball bearings by chuck and/or the specification for the ball bearings. This is the older type of chuck with individual bearings versus the newer caged bearing type.

Thanks
Rick

I would call Jacobs, their service reps are very helpful.

IIRC there was a gap in the bearings when I rebuilt my 18N Super Chuck.

I haven't rebuilt my 18N yet but I have rebuilt my 3 14Ns. There's should be a slight gap in between the bearings but not big enough to fit another ball.

I would call Jacobs, their service reps are very helpful.

I did send an email to Jacobs - just impatient :)

IIRC there was a gap in the bearings when I rebuilt my 18N Super Chuck.

After hours of internet researching for technical information - I did find a youtube video that actually showed a good picture of the bearings. I was able to count 33 bearings versus the 32 I have so I assumed I had dropped one. After a lengthy search on the shop floor I decided to call in a second set of eyes - my wife. She walked in, looked around for 10 seconds, bent over and picked up the missiing bearing :).

Tomorrow I'll reassemble with 33 bearings which should still leave a gap but it sounds like thta is normal.

Ruck

Back