Jet 1325 DIY back SPlash

minsk

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hey guys thought i would do a photo dump of my back splash i am making for my jet BD1325 lathe.
From Cad to rad. :p
i used both forms of CAD to design this lathe backsplash. First the primitive cardboard aided design ..then of course computer aided design
My metal brake is only 24" wide so i had to do the backsplash in two separate pieces. I then used my pneumatic flanging tool and fitted thetwo pieces together. I am sill tweaking...i have to finish some welding then paint. Iam going to try and match the actual lathe color. I will be adding a slanted ledge to put all my quick change tooling on . I will post updated photos in this post as i go along. I hope this helps someone. I'm a complete newb, so if i can do it anyone can.

:p

IMG_0826.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0799.jpg
    IMG_0799.jpg
    581.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0813.jpg
    IMG_0813.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0821.jpg
    IMG_0821.jpg
    636.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0828.jpg
    IMG_0828.jpg
    510 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0826.jpg
    IMG_0826.jpg
    454.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Looks great. That’s been on my list for a while.

do you have a bd1325?

I have the same lathe. I need to build one myself. How well does your machine hold tolerance?

Looks good. What gauge steel did you use? How did you weld it - tig, stick or something else?

Very nice! Good job of getting the most out of the tooling available. Your seams are very well done.

I have the 13x40 version of that machine, but it went out the back door of the factory branded Metal Max. I'll be making a backsplash for it in the near future. I can appreciate the challenge to make the shield over the motor.

In my experience, 90+% of the splash occurs within a foot of the back of the chuck if you are not running flood coolant. Part of that is because of oil and chips working their way out of the bore during boring. Less gets thrown toward the back when turning. Your storage rack is in a good place.

Back