Jet 16

thomas s

Active User
Registered
Hello All, I have a Jet 16 12 speed mill/drill. When I push the start button it will start and will build up speed seems to be running faster than normal then it will blow the breaker. Can someone tell me what this can be. Tag on motor says 1HP manufactured in 1978. Thanks for any help

Sounds like the centrifugal starts switch may be stuck, and not releasing, contacts probably welded together should be fixable

Mine did that one time. It is also a 1hp, and surprised me because it has always worked great. It has never done it a second time. Good to know what the issue is in case it becomes a problem. Thanks for posting!

GG

When a motor does this it is running on the "Start" winding. If the breaker doesn't trip, then the capacitor will fry. Shut down immediately. Dust or rust is often the culprit, disassemble and clean.

By the way, to remove a pulley from a motor shaft, do not use force or you may break the pulley. They are very brittle. Instead, use a torch to warm up the pulley until it expands. Use a Propane torch for aluminum and oxy/acetelene for cast iron.

John

Ok got it fixed. I took the motor apart cleaned it put it back together and it did the same thing. Run and then trip the breaker. A freind or mine came over and put a meter on the line and said the amps are dropping very low. I had a 220 line nearby and he suggested I wire it for 220. no more problems. It runs great now.

Back