Jewelry chain soldering - last minute Christmas present.

Looks pretty good to me!
For anyone interested, Rio Grande has a lot of solder types specific for jewelry. Propane or mapp is sufficient for small pieces like this. I have a Smith Little torch (oxy propane) which I use for jewelry but I find it is very easy to melt the base material with that. Especially a fine chain!
Robert

Looks pretty good to me!
For anyone interested, Rio Grande has a lot of solder types specific for jewelry. Propane or mapp is sufficient for small pieces like this. I have a Smith Little torch (oxy propane) which I use for jewelry but I find it is very easy to melt the base material with that. Especially a fine chain!
Robert
This was a whole new experience for me. Didn't realize just how fine the chain was and the way serpentine bends on such a small piece.
There's a couple of other 'toothes' to try out after Honey opens her presents. I was going for two last night but my output wasn't very good.

That Smith torch looks sweet. I was looking around after seeing different torches being used in the videos, but I'm not really investing in my tank rig since I picked it up at an estate sale and the bottles have 'Property OF Airco' all over them...

I think it looks fabulous, well done! I'd make her a set of earrings to go with some smaller teeth, or something like that. Not sure about sharks teeth, but to drill stone you'll need some diamond drills. They're cheap as chips, but you'll need to drill the part with it under water so you can keep it cool and wash the slurry off the drill.

Well gang, she loved it! -pheeeew
I had bought a bunch of shark tooth items from a couple down in FLA off of eBay.
They did a wonderful job putting together a 'package' for me. Had a 'JAWS' type gift theme going here this year.
We were down in Panama City for the step daughters wedding in October and Honey got bit by the shark teeth collecting bug.

She found a couple of more teeth in the packs I received and she wants me to make them into necklaces.
I also got her a large megalodon tooth and I think I'll have to try the diamond bit method mentioned by Matt.
Looks like I'm a jewelry-hack now...

Stay-tuned...

awesome, that's the best reward of all! Jewellry making has a lot of mileage in it, trust me :) I made a paua shell necklace and earings for Christmas for my wife when we were in NZ over 12 years ago and I think I've made her something for Christmas every year since. This years present was a Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter) pendant, which she was very happy with!

IMG_9037.JPG

Well, yep-yep, first attempt at jewelry making is a flop. Got a little over a month out of it. . .
Guess the chain I used to wrap the tooth with, stretched out a bit.
Back to the bench!
0215201300__R.jpg

no worries, all part of the learning process. I've found that wire wrapping and then soldering is very secure. Takes a bit of practice to get the wires neat though. Nickel plated jewelry wire is the type to get, solders very easily. Actually used some to fix the bridge of my glasses which snapped in two.

Back