Jig for Rem 700 bolt

Tammy63

Registered
Registered
I need to get or make a jig "mill" for the Rem 700 bolt so I can cut and thread the bolt knob lever to have a removable knob. I would love to make it so anyone know of plans would be awesome.
Thanks

I am aware of the fixture out there, and I don't think it wound be hard to replicate. Trace a bolt on a piece of paper to start, then draw the axis you want for turning the knob. Just mill v-grooves and clamps to hold the bolt body, and set the thing on center.

I never bothered with the fixture. I like to be able to choose a straight bolt or an angled bolt. I just grind the bolt knob into a square, put it in a vise, file it to 5/16 and uniformly round (its easier than it sounds). Then run a thread die over it. You are probably gonna locktite that thing on anyway, if not J-B or braze, so the threads just need to be reasonably formed. It's a 30-minute job. Making a fixture might take a few hours in comparison. I'm not running a factory, so I'm still content to do it the old way.

I bought the Phase II from PTG, I have threaded many bolt handles with it for tactical knobs, Here is a pic from a long time ago when I first got it, And a pic of a Remington 700 300 Rum Bolt before I Cerakoted it.

That was on my old 12x36 Lathe, It's pretty close to the ways as you can see.

Attachments

• 20210707_201843.jpg
    20210707_201843.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210707_201748.jpg
    20210707_201748.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 37
I forgot to mention, If you go this route and get or make a jig for the lathe, Face off the bolt knob and center drill it, Then use the tailstock to support it. Many Rem knobs have voids in them and can still be used, Epoxy or studs can be used to repair the shank you machined, I have not ran into one yet that needed to do that with, I have had some minor voids that I did not worry over.

The ability to install a stud or an internal thread is a huge advantage in favor of the jig. I haven't needed to do that yet.

I did these with a file and calipers.

20170502_172526.jpgIMAG0056.jpg

Back