Junk bin find

tommied

Active User
Registered
Went to purchase a 100 hp electric motor today and in their scrap bin I found 4 of these and he said get them if you want them. I dug them out. Still with plastic and grease. Course it a 4mt just what I use. Now to make one a large bull nose.
tommie

tool 001.JPG tool 002.JPG tool 003.JPG

Nice save!

What was the official use for that threaded front end on them?

-Ron

I and they don't know but I assume the shoulders are for some rollers that they constantly had to turn. Was hoping someone might know and tell.
Cotton gin where I work is where the motor goes. See if I can post a pict of my son in it.
tommie

001.JPG

Is that a shallow hole on the face? That might be to lock into rotation some accessory "point" held in place with a bolt. If so, you could turn up whatever you wanted, and mount it.

Do those rotate on bearing like a live center?

Thanks for the gin pictures, it brought back lots of memories for me as a kid since my grandfather owned several gins and we spent many summers working in them. I wished I would have had enough sense to save the equipment from the machine shop in one, but it was long ago scrapped when I was a late teenager.

Do those rotate on bearing like a live center?

Yes very smooth. More gin picts. My son gets around. These were 2009 season.
Has his mother in one. tommie

002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG

Thats a very modern gin compared to the antiquated ones I was in as a kid. Seeing that compress photo reminded me of a time when I was about 9 and my uncle said they had a bale that needed to be opened up due to the fact that he thought it might be smoldering inside. Thinking I'd be helpful, I took a pair of bulldog snips and clipped all the banding off. All I can say is wow, once that last band went whizzing by that sure was a lot of cotton in such a small space. I never thought about them placing the bale back in the compress and then undoing the straps, oh well, I learned a heck of a lesson and also spent hours cleaning up the mess! Bales these days have changed compared to 50 year ago.

Back