Just a thought / varible question

GK1918

Active User
Registered
After a large threading order, I got thinking. The majority of threading is done on a long bed South Bend. Its power is 220 single phase. What would be
sweet , would be a "sweet speed". direct drive is out of the question, has to be in back gear / 1st. speed livable, back gear / 2nd sp. Ok but a little too
fast not good for bad eyeballs. No real sweat spot for me, then i think of spring passes which I could boot it and slow it right down comming to the
end. So not being an electric geek, all I see is varible converters for single to three phase which will do that. Has a varible for single phase a/c 220
been invented yet. Or maybe I dont know what to look for under another name - just wondering that would be nice.
sam

Has a varible for single phase a/c 220 been invented yet.

Yes variable frequency drives are available for single phase motors but unfortunately nothing that will help you. Since your single phase 220 motor has a starting winding and contacts that engage at a certain speed a variable frequency drive will not work. The drives that are available are only for small split phase and permanent capacitor motors, not something you will find typically on a lathe except maybe a tiny hobby lathe.

Thank you I had that feeling deep down. thanks I am not about to change anything just a thought.

Back