Just purchased a Holbrook Minor

We have an illness George. We always look for the next best and greatest rather than being content with what we have. The Chipmaster was on my bucket list for small lathes and now that I have the best example of a metric Chippie I have ever seen (and possibly the straightest of any for that matter), I still seem to looking.

The premium machines are lovely but accessories for them are very hard to come by and if you find them, they require the sale of a body part or two to fund. I was nearly relieved to have not gotten the machine as I have all the equipment I need for the Chippie, steadies, tool post and holders, full set of change gears, chucks, back plates, dogs etc... If I had to get the accessories for the Holbrook it would take a long time and a great deal of money. I would have done it but in the meantime I would have reduced flexibility on the lathe.

I too love old machines and have a garage packed with them - most from the 60's.

I will be checking this lathe out this Thursday:

46_519446280.jpg46_1389263470.jpg

It looks to be in great shape and was THE premium toolroom lathe built in the USSR. It is only 20 minutes drive from me so it will be interesting.

Paul.

46_519446280.jpg 46_1389263470.jpg

Maybe I need to move to Norway for machine hunting.:)
If I had access to that Holbrook,I swear,I'd have gotten the bed re ground,made nicer handles,etc. Except if it was metric only.

Does that Russian lathe have power cross feed? Mighty sparce looking apron.

Any way the pictures of the restored Minor could be sent to Tony Griffiths? I know he'd be grateful. I went to see him years ago.

George, the Russian lathe is an Izhmash and the lever on the right of the apron that looks like a gear shifter has the feeds. This lever can change the longitudinal and cross feed directions on the fly.

The machine weighs in at 1150 kg and is only a 10 x 24 if I remember correctly. It is extremely rigid, with an rpm range of 20 - 2000 and a 4 HP motor. It has a full range of metric, module and inch pitches without the need for change gears. Jan Sverre in Norway who has the Schaublin 52 mill on this forum has the same lathe but an older model.

I never thought that anything worth a pinch came from the USSR but this lathe really blew me away. Silky smooth, well thought out and very solid.I have photos of Jan's that I can post up if you are interested in a closer look.

I considered getting the bed on the Holbrook reground but here in Norway it would set me back in excess of $10K at a conservative guess. Add to that the cost of the parts for the variator and then accessories and this very quickly starts to add up to a dangerous level of cash.

Paul.

Only thing I did notice is the way that he is storing his chuck key. That is exactly how an accident happens. Otherwise congrats on the great score and hope to see it at your shop working soon!!!.

Bob

I noticed the chuck key as well. I don't mind if he hurts himself... I just don't want to see the ways damaged :lmao:

Paul.

Ten K for a regrind? I thought they were high around here!!

George, prices in Norway are astronomical. I could get the work done in Sweden but then I would have taxes and transport on top of the regrind cost. This was the main reason I passed on the machine.

I will be seeing the Izhmash tonight and will take a heap of pictures.

Paul.

Back