Just wondering on a cold rainy day

GK1918

Active User
Registered
What would be your life time 'knock down experiance". I mean a life time never forget experiance. I'll tell ya mine. Not counting how to run a lathe in 1968 I done that already.
My case I think I was 22 that makes me a war baby. I go to Woodstock Jimmy Hendrex and yes no one could even take a swig or a toak. He had ones total attention period.
Shame all masters of arts dont live long like they are wanted up above.. I am or (was) a professional musician I posess a Hammond B3 I bought new in 1963. I mastered
Jimmy Smith, Richard Grooves Holmes and etc. Early days I toured the east coast in a 1945 (frog face Flxible Bus) I also was the bus mechanic lol. remembering throwing a
rod on the trusty Buick straight 8. All us band guys replaced the engine on the road. (jacks boards junk yard replacement) this was in Fla. junk yd eng ran fine back to Mass.on
a 50 buck 320 straight 8. Maybe improper here, but what if them nuts killing people across the pond ? what if Jimmy played have you been experienced? and they no comprendo
they get lit up with lighter fluid.
ole man ramblin again remove if need be I"m venting cause my fingers dont move too good no more (with all the hammer smashes) but ole B3 runs perfectly

I've had several 'lifetime never-forget experiences', but the ones that involve escaping death and destruction rise to the top.

Happened long ago. First time I've told this.

Nighttime, moonless, flying west over remoteland. Heavy overcast becomes rain, soon surrounded by turbulence, lightning, thunderstorms. Gotta put it down. Only one navaid is receivable, chart shows a remote airfield, I can see the beacon. No runway or airport lighting, but can just make it out from the lightning flashes. Setup for an approach, but the landing light is out, bulb cracked from the rain. Everything's solid black, except when the lightning flashes.

Decision time. I have enough fuel to stay in a pattern and attempt numerous approach/landing attempts. Super-dark, no ground references, gotta fly by the numbers in the pattern, guided only by the occasional lightning flash. Constant wing-flipping turbulence. Knuckles turning white.

After four failed go-around attempts, the lightning flashes thankfully synchronized while on short final. Could see a rain-slick runway up ahead during the last 200 ft descent. Managed to line-up on an imaginary runway in a sea of blackness. The plan was, descend to 50 ft AGL (above-ground-level) and stay there 'till the next lightning. *Flash*. There it is, but I'm lined-up on the right edge of the runway. Nudge it over a little, and wait. *Flash*. I'm right on top. Pull throttle, stick back a little. Final descent into blackness, hoping to feel that sensation of the mysterious 'ground effect' as my only clue to imminent touchdown, or disaster.

This 'ground effect' sensation, difficult to describe. You can sense the last few feet of descent to touchdown, like a sixth sense. There's a subtle change to the sounds around you, almost like you've got ground-sensing radar.

*Chirp-clunk*. I'm down, relief.

But wait - I'm rolling hot, blind in the dark at 70 mph. Hand on throttle, ready for a quick liftoff and another go-around.

*Flash*. Unbelievable. I'm still centered on the runway. Haul back on the stick, gently apply toe brakes. In the dark.

Then I notice that the wingtip strobes are lighting the runway edges. Like having my own lightning. Guided by these 'feelers', got it slowed down, staying in the center. Managed to find a taxiway turnoff, crept towards the hangars and main parking apron.

*Gasp* Time to breathe.

Turns out, this remote little airport was unlighted, unattended, shut-down for repairs.

I found a 1788 Spanish 8 reale from a shipwreck on a beach...I kept digging and found 39 more! Finding pirate treasure on a beach, that's pretty cool. These silver 8 reales are a bit larger than a half dollar. When you hear the phrase "pieces of 8" this is the coin that refers to.

There were 2 coins embedded in this one.

8realefused.jpg

1776f.jpg

1776b.jpg

8realefused.jpg 1776f.jpg 1776b.jpg

Back