Jut got a friend for my new mill and his name is "Kurt"

ScrapMetal

Active User
Registered
Not a tool "gloat" really as I didn't get a fantastic deal on it or buy it in a yard sale from an old lady for $5. :p :biggrin: I still like to see pics of new tools though so figure I'd "share".

The most flagrant act of strapping abuse I've ever seen...

I'm not complaining though, they made sure it wouldn't just "fall" out of the box during shipping. :thumbzup: I'm thinking my UPS guy doesn't like me. Just wait until he has to deliver the parts for the mill I ordered from Wells-Index. ;)

Now, in all it's glory:

I like things that are big, well machined, and made of iron or steel. What can I say? :p:biggrin:

-Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice Ron----- I think your the only person I know that has a New vise. :cool: By the way have you looked at a clock??????

Ron, nice addition to the new mill. I wondered if that would be the next item for the Wells Index. That Vice lools the same as the one I have Is it the 688?
One thing I found pretty handy with the kurt. I bought theextra Kurt jaw set with the little magnets installed. Very handy on some jobs. Also got some of those clack parrels too. They snap into the jaws, nice and tight, and never fall over.

You should should find the Kurt, a real treat to use and own.:cool:

Not a tool "gloat" really as I didn't get a fantastic deal on it or buy it in a yard sale from an old lady for $5. :p :biggrin: I still like to see pics of new tools though so figure I'd "share".

-Ron

Not a gloat?:headscratch::confused::nono: First off you get the biggest mill ever made, now you get a vice that most of will only see in a wet dream and you say your not Gloating, now that's funny:lmao::lmao::lmao:

all I can say about the vice is :tonguetied::drool::drool::drool:

Very nice Ron----- I think your the only person I know that has a New vise. :cool: By the way have you looked at a clock??????

Clock? We don't need no stinkin' clocks... :biggrin: I usually don't run out of steam until about the time I see the sun coming up. I don't get a whole lot of sleep, as a rule. :(

Ron, nice addition to the new mill. I wondered if that would be the next item for the Wells Index. That Vice lools the same as the one I have Is it the 688?
One thing I found pretty handy with the kurt. I bought theextra Kurt jaw set with the little magnets installed. Very handy on some jobs. Also got some of those clack parrels too. They snap into the jaws, nice and tight, and never fall over.

You should should find the Kurt, a real treat to use and own.:cool:

Yep, that's the 688. I was eying some parallels and extra jaws but I figured I'd wait until I had a better idea of what exactly I would be needing for different jobs. Now I'll definitely take a hard look at the ones with the magnets.

Thanks

Not a gloat?:headscratch::confused::nono: First off you get the biggest mill ever made, now you get a vice that most of will only see in a wet dream and you say your not Gloating, now that's funny:lmao::lmao::lmao:

all I can say about the vice is :tonguetied::drool::drool::drool:

This coming from a guy who has more stuffed crammed into a shop than I do? :thinking: :lmao: (At least for the moment. :p :biggrin:) Hey, a guys got to start somewhere. ;)

Thanks guys,

I read through the vise instructions last night and I'm still a little "fuzzy" on how the "O" rings are used with the parallels. I'm sure it's one of those things that, if I follow directions, and have the parallels, vise, and rings all ready to set up it will become more clear. (We need an icon for "I'm a little thick" :biggrin:)

You guys with Kurts or near equivalents, have you gone with the rotary base? Why or why not?

Thanks much,

-Ron

Hi Ron

On My Kurt 688 I didnt get the rotary base. I keep my eyes open for a used one, but they dont seem to come up for sale much were I live. I do have 3 other vises that do have it, so its not like I have to make do without it.

Many guys claim they dont use it, and have taken them off, and tossed them on the shelf, never to be used. I seriously doubt that! Because nobody ever seems to want to sell the one they have supposedly sitting collecting dust.

I use the other vises I have for those jobs, and find the feature very handy for sure. Im not sure what the base is priced at these days, but I do remember it was enough coin to stop me from buying it. The price on the jaws was cheap really. I got the jaw set with paralles for a good price, but thats a few yrs back now.

The clack paralles are nice feature as well. I didnt buy the complete set of all sizes, thats too much coin. I have just 1 pair that are mounted to the jaws , and cover most jobs. Nice they click in, never fall over, and swarf never seems to get under them. They fit nice and snug.

Well I can't add much except nice vise Ron. A little rich for what I do cides I have 4 already.

Paul

Hi Ron

On My Kurt 688 I didnt get the rotary base. I keep my eyes open for a used one, but they dont seem to come up for sale much were I live. I do have 3 other vises that do have it, so its not like I have to make do without it.

Many guys claim they dont use it, and have taken them off, and tossed them on the shelf, never to be used. I seriously doubt that! Because nobody ever seems to want to sell the one they have supposedly sitting collecting dust.

I use the other vises I have for those jobs, and find the feature very handy for sure. Im not sure what the base is priced at these days, but I do remember it was enough coin to stop me from buying it. The price on the jaws was cheap really. I got the jaw set with paralles for a good price, but thats a few yrs back now.

The clack paralles are nice feature as well. I didnt buy the complete set of all sizes, thats too much coin. I have just 1 pair that are mounted to the jaws , and cover most jobs. Nice they click in, never fall over, and swarf never seems to get under them. They fit nice and snug.

I noticed that they aren't for sale all over the place, as you noted, and I can think of many different times it may come in handy. I wonder if the guys that say they never use them tend to be in a more "production" environment and don't need a lot of "odd angle" holding or some such. I can see very little or no use for one in a CNC mill but I'm less than an expert on the subject. :biggrin:

Well I can't add much except nice vise Ron. A little rich for what I do cides I have 4 already.

Paul

"Four" he says... :rolleyes: :p :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Thanks guys,

-Ron

Back