KAKA BS-912B Bandsaw vs. PM-712G

wnchstrtnfldvlle

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Trying to decide between these two saws for my Christmas "gift" from work.

I've seen pretty good reviews on the Kaka brand through Amazon, but really trust the Precision Matthews quality and reputation, for just 100 bucks more and only about a 2" loss in capacity. Is there anyone that's had experience with the PM-712G that can give insight?

For the record I'm not looking for a used machine so please don't try to steer me to eBay or Marketplace. Although if there's a different brand in the same price range you would recommend I'm open to that as well.

I don't have direct experience with the PM saw, but have had a Jet 7x12 and the HF 4x6. The KAKA looks like the JET and it was fine. I would say the two biggest things for me would be 5 year vs 1 year warranty and the PM being made in Taiwan. If you don't absolutely need the larger capacity, I would probably steer towards the PM at that price point. On the other side, you can get the KAKA 7x12 for $1299 so if you are willing to give up the capacity, $600 difference makes it a little harder for me. It looks to me like the speed changes on the KAKA are done by moving belts. PM has the advantage there as well although I think it only has 3 speeds, but it is quick change with a lever.

I sold both of my old ones and am in the market as well so this is a timely question for myself.

I also noticed that this looks the exact same as the Klutch 7x12 version available at Northertool. You may be able to go get a first hand look at one if you have a Northern close. Looks the exact same as the Grizzly as well.

Last edited:
I would recommend the PM-712G, I have pretty much the exact same machine for the last 10 years, it works very well and cuts accurately. I have cut up to 5" diameter steel round stock. I have done a number of modifications to mine through the years, but the basic bandsaw is the same. I much prefer the gearbox over changing belts, and the 3 speeds pretty much covers the range of SFM that you would need for metal. If I had the space I would have gotten a swivel head, but they are quite a bit more cost wise. PM/QMT also has some of the best service/warranty in my experience, as well as the longer warranty gives you peace of mind. Kaka is made in China, the PM-712G is made in Taiwan, so typically pay a bit more for better quality machine.

Does anyone else have an issue with the brand name KAKA? I have one of their tube notchers and it's fine, but still....

Back in the day, Fred sold the business to a Japanese company that manufactured packaging and and labelling equipment. At a meeting, they proudly announced the release of a new line of labellers. When they told us what it would be called, there was a mix of gasps and giggles among the native English speakers. One of us had the nerve to point out that the name did not translate well. The Japanese manager had to have it explained to him. The name of the new line was "BS Scam".

I guess we'll find out. I decided to go with the 7" Kaka for 1200, to save the office about 700 bucks after taxes and shipping.

I won't be using it a whole lot once I've built some of the lathe accessories and some different shop tools, so I'm willing to risk it. They also offer returns so if it sucks in the first week or so I'll send it back and chalk it up to lesson learned.

Back