Kennedy tool box "pulls"

porthos

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
i have a kennedy tool box (machinist) that i want to refurbish and am not sure how to remove the "pulls" on the drawers. looking at the pictures of the replacements; it looks like they snap in. was wondering if they will break if i pry them out? next, how i remove the drawers??

Kennedy's have 2 clips , one on each side of the drawer . Use a screwdriver and pry each out . The drawer will then slide freely out .

Kennedy's have 2 clips , one on each side of the drawer . Use a screwdriver and pry each out . The drawer will then slide freely out .
I usually pry the front of the clip outwards, then push the front end down so it doesn't pop back into place before you want it to:

Kennedy Drawer Stop.jpg

I haven't replaced any of the pulls, but my older Kennedy chest has loose felt on the inside of one of the drawers and it looks like the plastic back pushes into the hole at a 45° angle, then the pull is rotated so the pins pop into the horizontal holes:

Kennedy Drawer Pull.jpg

drawers come out easy. however, not so with the pulls. this is a older box , and, the pulls are attached a different way than what is used now. there is a guide plug on one side and the other has a split piece of steel; that wen the pull is pressed in the split piece is seperated apart and i guess lightly pounded to make the pull tight. tried on one pull and the steel is very difficult to pinch back together. wasn't able to do so yet.. i would think that pinching the piece back together will result in some breaking. have to put my thinking cap on. worst case i can fabricate new pulls out of aluminum and screw them on. not original, but, will look ok

I could not get my pulls off, so I taped around them. It just wasn't worth messing with. I think I had one that I had to use screws to reinstall because it had come off.

drawers come out easy. however, not so with the pulls. this is a older box , and, the pulls are attached a different way than what is used now. there is a guide plug on one side and the other has a split piece of steel; that wen the pull is pressed in the split piece is seperated apart and i guess lightly pounded to make the pull tight. tried on one pull and the steel is very difficult to pinch back together. wasn't able to do so yet.. i would think that pinching the piece back together will result in some breaking. have to put my thinking cap on. worst case i can fabricate new pulls out of aluminum and screw them on. not original, but, will look ok
Photos?

The pulls do come out easy, once you know how. Pull outward from the sides, then twist the pull 45º. Once the plastic "square" lines up with the square hole (as seen in post #3), the pull comes out.

SLK001: read above, i don't have your kind of pull. mine are like a split rivet; where the split is folded over on the inside. i wish i had the current style.

SLK001: read above, i don't have your kind of pull. mine are like a split rivet; where the split is folded over on the inside. i wish i had the current style.
same here split rivets if I remember correctly.

Back