Knee & quill DRO mounting photos?

PNW_Guy

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I'm adding DRO scales on the knee and quill of my mill and am looking for inspiration.

On the knee, there's *nothing* flat, so I'll be fabbing some brackets.
On the quill, there's not a lot of space.

Hoping to see what you've done. Thanks for sharing!

I didn't do the quill with the main DRO, it has an independent digital scale on it.

The knee is irritating. I made some adjustable brackets that had 3 point leveling screws along with the holes for mounting the scale. I used set screws so I could easily get them below the surface so they can't interfere with mounting. Then a lot of adjusting and measuring. I do recommend making them bigger than I did, so you can adjust while the scale is mounted. Then it's a whole lot of moving the knee to make sure it's lined up. Knowing me, they are way overkill and there was a much easier way to go about it.

Reactions: kvt
Depends on if you are using glass or magnetic scales. Knee, you can mill a stand off at either end and then use a beam or adjustable brackets for a glass scale. Quill is a bit more challenging in particular with glass scales due to the size.
Lots of examples: https://www.dropros.com/Digital_Readout_DRO_Installation.htm
U-Axis minus cover.jpg
1707417808192.jpeg

Depends on if you are using glass or magnetic scales. Knee, you can mill a stand off at either end and then use a beam or adjustable brackets for a glass scale. Quill is a bit more challenging in particular with glass scales due to the size.
Lots of examples: https://www.dropros.com/Digital_Readout_DRO_Installation.htm

Thanks for the photos and the link. I'm using glass scales.
The previous owner had an X & Y DRO, but it was old an failing. Replacing the Y scale was a good start in figuring out how to mount something square to a curved object. Knee & quill will be interesting, but at lest for those I'll have. mill with an X & Y DRO again.

Not a knee photo, but the Y axis on my PM-940 which is on a weird angle.
3d printed brackets for the scale and also the read head attachment.
20231207_080309.jpg
20231207_065713.jpg

Not a knee photo, but the Y axis on my PM-940 which is on a weird angle.
3d printed brackets for the scale and also the read head attachment.

Super clean. Now that printers are more of a reliable tool, they've moved way up on my list of purchases. Trying to decide if an enclosure is worth the money.

Super clean. Now that printers are more of a reliable tool, they've moved way up on my list of purchases. Trying to decide if an enclosure is worth the money.

Yes. Being able to run Nylon and other engineering materials is worth the bother.

That said, it doesn't have to be anything too crazy. Even one of those little tent type enclosures helps a lot. It even helps to keep smells down. I don't get much from PLA/PETG or similar, ABS can be a bit much.

If you want the printer to be reliable and as close to an appliance as a printer gets, look into Bambu Labs.

Back