Knurler for Atlas Lathe

JPMacG

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I just completed a Tom's Techniques knurler for my Craftsman (Atlas) lathe. All the work was done on my Atlas MFC horizontal mill. The large through-hole was cut with a boring head and the slots were milled with a 5/8 end mill. The first part knurled was a knob to lock the Y-axis gib on the MFC. I think it is cool that I made a tool on the MFC that was used to make a part for the MFC.

Attachments

• IMG_3806.jpg
    IMG_3806.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3893.jpg
    IMG_3893.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3894.jpg
    IMG_3894.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3889.jpg
    IMG_3889.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3891.jpg
    IMG_3891.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 69
Wow, nice job!

Does the tool holder / compound flex much when engaging the work?

I did one of those a couple of years ago now and it was a very good project. It works great and is no problem for my little 9x20. I need to go back and mod mine so I can run larger knurls as I can’t seem to find 5/8x1/4” in the coarser knurls. That project taught me a lot. Most of the outer work was done on my Atlas 7b shaper.

I don't notice the holder flexing, but I have not put an indicator on it. My technique is to torque the clamping screws that hold the knurling wheels against the work piece with the lathe off. Then run the lathe briefly, stop and examine the knurl for tracking and depth. Then increase the torque if necessary and check again. And again. Once I have the knurl looking right I move the X axis to complete the knurl.

I did one of those a couple of years ago now and it was a very good project. It works great and is no problem for my little 9x20. I need to go back and mod mine so I can run larger knurls as I can’t seem to find 5/8x1/4” in the coarser knurls. That project taught me a lot. Most of the outer work was done on my Atlas 7b shaper.

Yes, I would like a coarser knurl. I have 30 tpi - the coarsest wheels I could find on Ebay. I might call Form Rol - if they are still in business.

The Form-Rol website has them at $12.40 each. But the website looks like it has not been updated since the last century. Did you check with them C-Bag?

The Form-Rol website has them at $12.40 each. But the website looks like it has not been updated since the last century. Did you check with them C-Bag?
Nope, I looked at suppliers like MSC and McMaster and besides being kinda arcane to understand they were way more than I paid off of eBay. So I’m just checking eBay periodically.

Back