Kurt vise for PM-728VT?

Firstgear

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I am inclined to get the DX6 vise as it is only $5 more than the DX4, but would like some confirmation from those that have this machine that this isn’t overload on the mill. For $5 seems like it is the way to go. Comments? Thoughts?

I have the DX6 on my knee mill TV950 and I am glad I bought a Kurt vise, it is so smooth and the quality is top notch!

Bigger is not always better. I put a Kurt DX4 on my PM935 and I feel it fits fine. Most of my work is small and the larger DX6 vise hangs over the table and covers the dial for the Y axis. If you have a DRO on your mill it might not be a problem. When making my choice I downloaded the drawings of the vise from the Kurt web page and printed the top views out full scale and placed them on the table. In my opinion the DX4 was a better fit.

Roger L

Great idea of printing out the vise size. I haven’t bought the mill yet...,but getting my list together.

Even on my full size knee mill, a 6" vise covers the dial. Since I have a DRO it is moot, but the standard handle still hits the Y handle, many people swap out the vise handle for a speed handle or a 3 spoked with a smaller diameter. The DX6 is a about 1 " shorter in the back and around 3" overall vs. conventional vises, and also has a more compact foot print (comparable to many 5" vises). A 4" vise is a bit marginal for longer/larger work. As mentioned, cutout a template and see what works for you, but at the spend level I would go with a DX6 and maybe get a less expensive 4" for smalls. There was another post with a similar discussion but I can't locate it with the limited search limitations on this site. If you need to see the Y dial, then a 4" may work a bit better, but if you have a DRO I would go with a 6". Below is my previous bench top mill, the Y travel was limited to ~8" and the 6" vise is much longer than the DX-6. I use it on my knee and still cannot see the Y dial.

BF30 Mill 5.jpg

20161023_092545.jpg

Bigger is not always better. I put a Kurt DX4 on my PM935 and I feel it fits fine. Most of my work is small and the larger DX6 vise hangs over the table and covers the dial for the Y axis. If you have a DRO on your mill it might not be a problem. When making my choice I downloaded the drawings of the vise from the Kurt web page and printed the top views out full scale and placed them on the table. In my opinion the DX4 was a better fit.

Roger L

I have a Kurt 5" on my PM935 and I like the fitment. I did add 6" steel and aluminum jaws though. IMO this is a good compromise for a 9x35 table. But I typically don't have to put anything much longer than 6-8" on the mill.

The PM mill I am looking at has a gap on the bed of 16mm. Kurt doesn’t make a sine vise for the bottom to make it easy to tram. What do people do? Make your own? Modify one of the Kurt pieces? Are the Kurt pieces hardened?

The decision was simplified as I decided to buy another TV950 because I have been very satisfied with my first TV950. Just ordered another Kurt DX6

I have no idea what you are talking about.....

I really like the ignore button. Makes being on the website when you don’t have to worry about silly comments coming across. Perfect!

Back