L.O. Beard the tail of 3 hones.

I did similar work. If there was a machine repair, add on or machine installation or machine move/set up I was first to volunteer for the job. I liked the challenge of moving heavy stuff. Making weird parts was also an interesting challenge for me. I was in the very first class at SCC Tech College that offered CAD as the transitioned from manual drafting. We got both styles of training. I really liked to draw on a computer and could program using G codes. I liked table drafting also and still have the tools. My instructor was at the time was a former Navy Seal Commander in Vietnam during the conflict and that made it more interesting. One of my smarter guys to learn from!! And the stories he could tell...

But I preferred manual work and took it always over the button pushing. I should have stayed with CAD/CAM more hind sight being what it is. A younger friend of mine in this area has one of the first 5 axis machines in Northern CO. His father was an engineer and he is also. It is really amazing what can be done with that machine.

As for my garage shop it's manual work all the way. I still get calls for that type of manual work since it's all button pushing now.

I still have that interest in old tools and vintage equipment. Not much of a budget for it tho. I am looking at some old reloading lots at this time. Hope I can score!

Partially why I like old tools is the cool history factor, price, and often times quality. Like LO Beard, who'da thunk? I'd never heard of them but when the set of reamers came up and saw that it was Navy issue on the label I figured it must be ok. They are better than ok, pretty darn wonderful IMHO. But the trick is finding quality that these silly flippers on Craigslist and eBay don't know. Like if it says Craftsman, SnapOn etc it's real close to list price. I think I bought the reamer set 3-4yrs ago. Then I started looking on eBay and now I see that same set for $600 because somebody caught on. So for me it's all a waiting game and don't get too attached because the damnedest things can pop up when you least expect it. The only time I get buyers remorse is when I've spent literally years with something on my "want" list, and finally give in and buy either a knock off or an over priced one and the one I really wanted shows up. Doh! One of my longest "want" was a universal vise and I'd all but given up on it until one of our own here on H-M put his up for sale. What a score, thanks again Dave.

Did you look at that antique Manley screw press I'm going through?

Yes, That is interesting. It appears that they were made close to where the hone came from too. From the good ole days!

Well, here's Mr. Lawrance Oscar Beard's (L.O. beard) son...

Jun 12, 2006 Updated Sep 12, 2013

Lawrence O. Beard, II
Lawrence O. Beard, II, 71, of 105 Lehman Ave., Lancaster, passed away on Saturday at his home. He was the husband of Dawne E. Urban Beard. They celebrated their 40th anniversary on December 4th.
Born in Lancaster, he was the son of the late Lawrence O. and Margaret T. Martin Beard.

Mr. Beard worked as a tool grinder at the former L.O. Beard Tool Co., Lancaster and also for K.D. Tools, Lancaster. He was a graduate of J.P. McCaskey High School. Mr. Beard was a U.S. Navy veteran of the Korean War.
Mr. Beard was a member of the Lampeter Church of the Brethren and the AMVETS, Post #0019, Lancaster. He enjoyed hunting, fishing, and collecting decoy ducks. He enjoyed watching football and was an avid Philadelphia Eagles fan.

Surviving in addition to his wife are two daughters, Shawne L., married to Ervin E. Steele of Warfordsburg, Pa. and Karen L., married to David L. Brooks of Ephrata, Pa.; and a sister, Beverly Chant of Columbia.
Relatives and friends are respectfully invited to attend Lawrences Life Celebration from the Lampeter Church of the Brethren, 1900 Lampeter Rd., Lampeter, PA 17537 on Wednesday at 2 p.m., with the Reverends John D. Hostetter and Sheri Weaver officiating. Interment will be in Riverview Burial Park.
Friends may call at the church on Wednesday from 1 p.m. until time of service.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to Hospice of Lancaster County, PO Box 4125, 685 Good Dr., Lancaster, PA 17604.
Arrangements by Fred F. Groff Inc., Lancaster, PA

Well, here's Mr. Lawrance Oscar Beard's (L.O. beard) son...

Jun 12, 2006 Updated Sep 12, 2013

Lawrence O. Beard, II
Lawrence O. Beard, II, 71, of 105 Lehman Ave., Lancaster, passed away on Saturday at his home. He was the husband of Dawne E. Urban Beard. They celebrated their 40th anniversary on December 4th.
Born in Lancaster, he was the son of the late Lawrence O. and Margaret T. Martin Beard.

Mr. Beard worked as a tool grinder at the former L.O. Beard Tool Co., Lancaster and also for K.D. Tools, Lancaster. He was a graduate of J.P. McCaskey High School. Mr. Beard was a U.S. Navy veteran of the Korean War.
Mr. Beard was a member of the Lampeter Church of the Brethren and the AMVETS, Post #0019, Lancaster. He enjoyed hunting, fishing, and collecting decoy ducks. He enjoyed watching football and was an avid Philadelphia Eagles fan.

Surviving in addition to his wife are two daughters, Shawne L., married to Ervin E. Steele of Warfordsburg, Pa. and Karen L., married to David L. Brooks of Ephrata, Pa.; and a sister, Beverly Chant of Columbia.
Relatives and friends are respectfully invited to attend Lawrences Life Celebration from the Lampeter Church of the Brethren, 1900 Lampeter Rd., Lampeter, PA 17537 on Wednesday at 2 p.m., with the Reverends John D. Hostetter and Sheri Weaver officiating. Interment will be in Riverview Burial Park.
Friends may call at the church on Wednesday from 1 p.m. until time of service.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to Hospice of Lancaster County, PO Box 4125, 685 Good Dr., Lancaster, PA 17604.
Arrangements by Fred F. Groff Inc., Lancaster, PA
RIP Mr. Beard II.

I wonder if there is any history of LO Beard as a company? Did they get bought out by K.D. Tools?

Back