Lapping a cast iron surface

Great "outside of the box thinking" idea!
My only concern is how well the wood would slide over the epoxy.

I know my uncles table saw had sags in the cast top, there was a lack of support in the casting in that area. That top was as old as dirt.
My old aluminum top bowed from front to back , just a job sit saw so no real worries.

I would bet it came that way from the factory.
Yup, I went and looked at several in the store a couple of years later (when I finally noticed it) and they all had similar bows. I have a 36" straight edge that I know to be good and that's what I used as a reference.
Are you having a hard time getting blade 90’ to the table?
Have you checked to make sure all the motor/housing/ brackets bolts are tight.

I struggled getting my Dewalt 10” running true to the miter slots.
Took me a good while to fund 2 hidden screws that got me that last bit.

This might be a bit of a hack.
Have you considered epoxy on the low spot? Like body filler?
I have had issues with that, yes. I do recall taking down and putting the fence system up several times thinking that was the issue but I'll have to go back over it and look closer at the screws.

I did consider epoxy or body filler, but I also thought that might make for "interesting" blade changes. It would also make for a fight when it comes to messing with the fence. I may do an experiment to see how well wood slides over Bondo (it's what I have on hand; I have both liquid and fiberglass-reinforced jelly in the supply cabinet from my costume/prop making days). Some deep-pour epoxy could actually be pretty close to perfect for the fill, but if the tables I've done in similar epoxies are any indication it won't glide for poop, but we'll see how it acts after a good sanding and application of wax (another variable - wonder what happens if you put wax over Bondo? I know what happens when you put it under the stuff, but what about over? Time to find out).

I also have a Rennsteig machine scraper on its way to me courtesy of some Amazon gift cards. I just lost my job and have plenty of time in between interviews and applications now should I decide to go that route.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, folks.

Last edited:
Yup, I went and looked at several in the store a couple of years later (when I finally noticed it) and they all had similar bows. I have a 36" straight edge that I know to be good and that's what I used as a reference.

I have had issues with that, yes. I do recall taking down and putting the fence system up several times thinking that was the issue but I'll have to go back over it and look closer at the screws.

I did consider epoxy or body filler, but I also thought that might make for "interesting" blade changes. It would also make for a fight when it comes to messing with the fence. I may do an experiment to see how well wood slides over Bondo (it's what I have on hand; I have both liquid and fiberglass-reinforced jelly in the supply cabinet from my costume/prop making days). Some deep-pour epoxy could actually be pretty close to perfect for the fill, but if the tables I've done in similar epoxies are any indication it won't glide for poop, but we'll see how it acts after a good sanding and application of wax (another variable - wonder what happens if you put wax over Bondo? I know what happens when you put it under the stuff, but what about over? Time to find out).

I also have a Rennsteig machine scraper on its way to me courtesy of some Amazon gift cards. I just lost my job and have plenty of time in between interviews and applications now should I decide to go that route.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, folks.
Unfortunately thats not exactly a saw meant for “accuracy” .
My dewalt job site saw. Had its issues. Once I did get the blade lined up with miter slot I made a few jigs as the fence on my saw has all its own issues.

Back