Lathe Lighting

To all who replied thankyou. Much good advice.
Rob I particularly liked your idea of track lights so you can adjust the lights for best illumination. Unfortunately I have purchased my downlights so will install and try.
I will install them above the operator and angle them slightly towards the lathe.
If not satisfactory I can always move them and patch the ceiling.

Bamban what type of chuck is on your lathe in the second photo?
Ron

To all who replied thankyou. Much good advice.
Rob I particularly liked your idea of track lights so you can adjust the lights for best illumination. Unfortunately I have purchased my downlights so will install and try.
I will install them above the operator and angle them slightly towards the lathe.
If not satisfactory I can always move them and patch the ceiling.

Bamban what type of chuck is on your lathe in the second photo?
Ron

It is a thick back plate I picked up on eBay that I converted to a spider for barrel work.

Last edited:
I have a 48in twin tube T5 H.O. above my lathe, mounted axially with Z, slightly towards the back of the bed, my thought was when I lean my big head over the top of the work to take measurements or whatever it would have less blockage of the light.

Don't seem to matter but the more light you have the better , I'd keep one over top of the front of the lathe and every 4' to 6' apart in the room . Work the same over the mill and benches . It can never be to much with the lights we have now. Plus you can put them on a few switches to turn on as needed.

Speaking of switches, I added a pushbutton on/off switch to the edge of each of my very bright 24 x 48" 4 tube fluorescent lights
so that I don't need to have three of them going if I'm working just at my assembly station for instance. The lights are seven feet off the floor
so the switches are easily reached. I really love the evenness of the light from these things, no hot spots and virtually no shadows.

Chuck the grumpy old guy

Back