Lathe Tool Vertical Height Gauge

bretthl

Registered
Registered
I took a scrap block of aluminum and squared it up on the mill and found center. Then spotted and drilled a 1/2" blind hole for the arbor. Without changing the Y axis I flipped the block in the vice and marked the reference line along the X axis with a carbide tipped scribe. I then turned the pin on the 1" OD arbor and pressed it into the aluminum block (snug).

P1000786.resized.JPG

Installed in the chuck and then leveled.

setup.jpg

I think this approach works well for negative rake insert tooling. It is also helpful when setting a tool slightly above or below center. The obvious disadvantage is you can't check tool height with work in the chuck.

P1000783.resized.JPG

P1000784.resized.JPG

P1000785.resized.JPG

Total Cost: $1.69

Cool! I like it!

For too long I’ve been setting tool height by eye. I really need to pay more attention to that.

That will work.
I use a planer gauge. Quick and easy, except sometimes I have to use a 6" rule to reach the lathe tool.
Well done, never seen anything like it before.

Here's mine. I believe it's similar to one made by Hardinge. It has one of those really powerful rare-earth magnets in the bottom. I made it adjustable but I don't know why, I only have one lathe.

WP_20200320_16_36_21_Pro.jpg

I took a scrap block of aluminum and squared it up on the mill and found center. Then spotted and drilled a 1/2" blind hole for the arbor. Without changing the Y axis I flipped the block in the vice and marked the reference line along the X axis with a carbide tipped scribe. I then turned the pin on the 1" OD arbor and pressed it into the aluminum block (snug).

View attachment 317531

Installed in the chuck and then leveled.

View attachment 317532

I think this approach works well for negative rake insert tooling. It is also helpful when setting a tool slightly above or below center. The obvious disadvantage is you can't check tool height with work in the chuck.

View attachment 317533

View attachment 317534

View attachment 317535

Total Cost: $1.69
$1.69 well spent! Nice job.

Back