Lathe Tooling Cart

transplant_wi

Registered
Registered
You will guess that I maybe have a woodworking background, and have put these skills to work to accomodate the tooling that came with my 1920's Monarch.

I happened to have a suitable wood cabinet from an university surplus sale that is just the right size to fit between its legs, and once I added HD casters and a galvanized drip tray from an auto parts store as a chip pan, the height was just right too.

Another timely bit-o-scrounging produced two pairs of Accuride filing cabinet slides, which you can see below are used to hold two trays for the larger chucks, etc. I used 3/4" ply drilled with appropriate holes to accomodate the chuck and face plate shanks, so they wouldn't shift when I pull the 'drawers' out. A pair of dowels hold the change gears nicely.

Inside the top drawer, I used 1.25" wide strips of 1/4 MDF glued to an MDF bottom to partition and support the smaller tooling. The drawer divider is inclined slightly (1/2") at the back to keep the tools nearer the front. The collet rack is made of 3/4" pine, with legs to raise it sufficiently high for the collets to sit nicely.

The cabinet didn't have a top, so I edged some 3/4" ply with Ipe (Ironwood), and cut it flush with the top using a flush-cutting router bit. Tung oil is the finish. How I have to get it downstairs to join the lathe...

Cart.JPG Collets.JPG Tools.JPG FacePlate.JPG TopPullout.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred - don't give up; these tools had been stored 15 years in a damp basement, and my 3-jaw was seized by rust, but it all cleaned-up. One trick is to soak things overnight in household vinegar, then rinse, brass or wire brush, fine steel wool with mineral spirits or WD-40 and wet/dry paper will get it ship-shape again and good for the next 90 years.

I'll second the vinegar trick for cleaning rust, I've used it successfully on several occasions. :)

Glad to see that you don't want to offend your lathe with any harsh breath. You know all the Altoid cans and all..lol. Sorry guys couldnt resist. VERY nice cabinet!!

Mark

Back