Lathe tuneup?

Frank O

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
We have a 12-year-old Sieg C6 equivalent lathe -- actually sold as part of a Grizzly G0516 lathe-mill combo, we separated the two and ended up giving the mini-mill to a friend a couple of years ago when we upgraded. As for the lathe, we've used it very lightly compared to the mill, and not at all in something like four or five years.

But now we want to get it tweaked up and start using it again. As a starting point, we thought we'd use Boeshield T-9 and ScotchBrite on the ways and anything else that looks like it could get rusty, followed by Mobil One. Anything else we should do before reacquainting ourselves with the toolholder etc and starting it up?

To remove rust I'd recommend Evaporust, either the liquid on parts that can be soaked, or the gel (covered in plastic wrap to keep it from drying out) on larger surfaces. I know Boeshield is a rust preventative, but I don't know if it removes rust.

To remove rust I'd recommend Evaporust, either the liquid on parts that can be soaked, or the gel (covered in plastic wrap to keep it from drying out) on larger surfaces. I know Boeshield is a rust preventative, but I don't know if it removes rust.

Thanks, I have some of the liquid but not sure just yet what I can easily take off to soak. Haven't tried the gel yet, might check it out. I got used to using Boeshield or WD-40 with ScotchBrite a long time ago as a first step before hitting the Evaporust if the rust isn't too significant, but I can see benefit in going straight to it.

Last edited:
Back